You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > Bike Mileage

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

joshsilverman

Sep 12

Bike Mileage

Hello,

Just a quick one on bike mileage. I understand whats good and bad in regards to car mileage but is this the same with bikes?

I see 06 / 07 bikes with 20k miles or near. I know on a car that would be classed as very low and hardly used, but whats the general rule of the thumb for bikes in regards to annual mileage on an average?

Thanks,

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (17 October 2012 13:11)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
zanderh

Aug 12

zanderh says:

My rule of thumb

is around 3-5k miles a year is 'average'. So a 6 year old bike with 20k miles is averaging just over 3k miles a year, which is about right.

My first bike was 2 years old with 4k miles, not 'alf bad!

Reply to this Topic
harringtonpw

Feb 04

harringtonpw says:

Big mileage

Just to chip in - it also depends on bike size. The larger capacity the more miles you can expect. 40k miles on a 125 is really going some, whereas 40k on 1300 Honda Pan European or similar really isn't much. Don't get too het up about mileage - it's better to buy a bike in good nick, with good service history, than going just on mileage. I bought my current vfr800 with 30k miles, and it's now approaching 80k and going strong.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Mileage

Mileage is one thing but, when looking at used machines, the way in which it has been cared for is more important.  I would rather own a 50,000 mile bike that has been well cared for and properly serviced than a 25,000 mile bike that has been neglected. 

What sort of bike are you looking for? 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
joshsilverman

Sep 12

What sort of bike are you looking for?

Thanks for all your replies.

I am looking at either the GSXR 600 or R6 - more so the GSXR. 2006/2007 due to my budget. What type of mileage for that bike/cc?

I will definitely note about condition and how it rides. I know it may be difficult to find one of these bikes that hasnt been ripped the s**t out of so will be paying a bike mechanic to come with me. I figure I would rather waste around £100 for someone to look at it than waste around £4k buying one.

Any tell tale signs to look for? the only thing I could think was as standard as poss with no ''sporty'' mods - air filters, exhausts etc.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

GSXR

There's no maybe about it - if you buy a GSXR you KNOW it's been ragged.  That's what they are buit for!   Doesn't do them any harm though as long as they are looked after.

Reply to this Topic
joshsilverman

Sep 12

haha

Yep, defo going to be ragged.

Ok thats fine, will take the mechanic with me but at least I know what type of mileage is avrg.

thanks again.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices