Skip to content

Ask an Expert Buying a new YBR 125 custom vs buying a used *** Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > Buying a new YBR 125 custom vs buying a used ***

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

DH1900

Oct 12

DH1900 says:

Buying a new YBR 125 custom vs buying a used ***

I'm about to do my CBT and I'm looking at buying a cruiser (or, as close as you can get to a cruiser with a 125 engine). The YBR 125 custom seems to tick all the boxes, cheap to insure; able to hit 60 more comfortably than most and a fuel gauge. I'm considering buying it new on credit and paying it off after 6 months before deciding whether to move on to something bigger.

The used market (MCN, autotrader, ebay) doesn't strike me as very appealing, I'm based near Glasgow and I can't find too many used 125s near there in the style I'm going for. The ones I can find aren't that much cheaper and I don't get a full warranty.

I already have a car and I'd just be using the bike for getting to the shops and riding for fun. Would I be making the right choice by buying new or is the used market less of a minefield than it seems? Also, are there any bikes that might fit the bill better than the YBR?

Thank you very much.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (17 October 2012 18:01)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

What ever you choose

make sure you ACF-50 that chrome if you intend riding it through the winter.:wink:

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Wouldn't buy new

not if you intend to change it after 6 months - this is the biggest depreciation period (although 125s tend to suffer it less than other bikes).

The other point to be aware of, is the fact that you'll likely drop the bike sooner or later - the newer it is (and the more you pay for it), the more gutting it'll be when you do.

Reply to this Topic
DH1900

Oct 12

DH1900 says:

Re: Wouldn't buy new

Thanks AdieR, what would you recommend to minimise my chances of buying a lemon or, at least, buying a lemon I can't get a refund on? I am happy to take the brunt of a certain amount of depreciation for peace of mind.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

My advice

generally, cheap bikes are cheap for a reason - but set a (realistic) budget for what you can afford; don't forget if you need kit / security, that'll eat into it, as will insurance.

Secondly, if you have biking mates (I have 2 at work for example), see if they know any dealers / traders they recommend (or if they know any to steer clear of). A decent one will probably offer some form of interim warranty (2 or 3 months) on a used bike.

Thirdly, get to know weak spots of the bike you're interested in, and, if at all possible, take a trusted (and clued up) mate along.

A good condition higher-mileage bike is generally a better bet than a low-mile neglected one.

A used bike may have scratches and marks (as stated, learners do drop bikes), but significant damage / re-sprays / mis-matched body parts may mean its "gone down the road" (ie, crashed).

Reply to this Topic
DH1900

Oct 12

DH1900 says:

Re: My advice

Thank you very much. I may go for a used regular YBR125 rather than a custom now, as the fuel economy is listed as 75 for the custom and 90 for the regular YBR125 (any ideas why?, the custom is only 5kg heavier)

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
roadglue

Nov 12

roadglue says:

Custom is a nice bike

I have a regular ybr and my girlfriend has a custom.Not for much longer hopefully as we both passed our tests.

We've only had them 15 months and hers is rusting quite bad.Mine is fine apart from the bits where the footpegs fasten to,which is going a bit.Hers are quite bad.

We don't make a habit of going out in the rain and they are always covered.

They aren't of the quality i remember yamaha 125s (had 2 RD's) but they are decent bikes.

Both seem the same fuel wise.Hers is slower top end though for some reason.

Reply to this Topic
tc330

Mar 11

tc330 says:

New vs used

These bikes are made in China therefore quality is crap. Cruiser type has more chrome which is thin and therefore rusts quicker. Basic design is sound - japanese- so buy 2nd hand and avoid depreciation.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle