You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Are New Tyres Slippery

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

JShone

Oct 12

JShone says:

Are New Tyres Slippery

I can't see a thread on this subject so wanted to get an expert opinion on a situation I am currently in.

A few months ago I decided to get in to motorbikes. Without any previous experience or knowledge about motorbikes I took my CBT.

The following week I went to a well known motorbike dealership and told them I wanted a 125 motorbike. They recommended one to me which I subsequently purchased and had delivered.

When it was delivered I took it for too rides in the sunshine and did about 30 miles, then 3 days after receiving it I took it out in the evening after it had stopped raining. Just coming of a roundabout the back wheel slipped and the bike tipped and I wrote the bike of and injured myself.

Here is my concern, up until this point I was sat at the side of the road thinking I’m never going to ride a bike again but when the recovery truck came the mechanic took one look at the bike and said “no wonder you came of it mate, new tyres need scrubbing in and yours still have the bobbles on them, new tyres are notoriously slippery” He also told me how he has ridden bikes all his life and every time he gets new tyres the garage warns him to go steady for the first 100miles.

Now I took my bike to a garage three days later, when I was able to walk again properly, and I asked the owner about slippery new tyres and he echoed the words of the recovery agent. I also went to another motorbike dealership and talked to the manager who also agreed with the fact tyres need scrubbing in.

All this has left me puzzled as at no point during the selection purchase and handover of my new bike was any safety advice given. Also, there was a sticker on the tank saying read the manual before use, but no where in the 4 pages of safety advice does it mention tyre scrub in or slippery tyres at all.

I would like to know MCN’s expert opinion on whether there is a hazard with new tyres

Regards

Jonathan

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (18 October 2012 16:34)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
cairnsie13

Jan 11

cairnsie13 says:

I think you

will have a hard time legally as you would have to prove that the tyres were the definate cause which i dont see how you would.

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Hope

your on a no win no fee deal:huh:

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Sadly for you

The dealer's responsibility would be to sell a product fit for purpose, of merchantable quality and free from minor defect.  As all bikes have new tyres that offer very little grip until scrubbed in, I doubt whether he failed in his duty under Sale of Goods.  Maybe he didn't follow best practice over the warnings, but maybe you didn't follow best practice on the road?

Maybe you should take it on the chin as a literally painful learning exercise?

Nowadays is there no mention of this issue at CBT?

Reply to this Topic
arryace

Apr 10

arryace says:

Rider Error

the dealer is not liable unless you can prove he misinformed you.

you had ridden it twice before without issue you then rode it on a wet road and crashed.

this was most likely down to your inexperience.

Reply to this Topic
lugsonia

Oct 12

lugsonia says:

unfortunately

i agree i dont think you will get far with this as his job isnt to teach you how to ride a bike, thats what your cbt or full license are far. It is a harsh situation as dealers should be obliged to tell you about things that may cause problems for new riders out of courtesy and biker code. However like the others have said if he has sold you a bike that works with tyres that have full grip and performance potential he has done his job as far as the company go.In addition as someone mentioned earlier there is no way to prove that it was tyres rather than over confidence that was at fault which im guessing would be thier line of defence.

i hope your insurance can cover your losses and that you will continue to ride.

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Jonathan: New tyres

A new tyre will need the rider to treat it cautiously for 50-100 miles, depending on conditions.  That's because you've got a tyre with less than normal working grip.

Two new tyres isn't just double the trouble, it's 100-fold.   If having a new tyre is like walking around with one boot and one roller-skate all of a sudden, you can imagine if instead of having two boots, you were given a roller-skate on each foot.

Compound that problem if it's a new bike.  You're not used to that bike, not used to its balance, or even its controls, and you haven't got reliable tyres either.

Add to it yet still, a new rider who doesn't even know how to ride bikes very well.  Less still an unfamiliar bike.  And even less still, with nice, shiny, slippy-brand-new tyres.

If such an unfortunate set of dangerous conditions were to coincide, I'd have to be having a laugh not to advise that person to REALLY take it easy for 1000 miles or so.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices