Skip to content

Ask an Expert Triumph TT600 Electrical Issues Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Triumph TT600 Electrical Issues

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Sket1234

Feb 12

Sket1234 says:

Triumph TT600 Electrical Issues

Hi i have bought a new triumph tt 600 it has a factory fitted alarm which keeps flattening the battery when not used for more then two weeks,

The bike also has a few erratic issues when above about 8000 rpm the rev counter needle goes nuts and bounces between 10k-13k and the engine management light flickers but the bike still revs smoothly also the dash lights dont work on the speedo and rev counter (Headlights and Indicators work), and the engine management light comes on then goes out after 3 cycles ride for another 300 miles or so and it comes back on for another cycle.

Are these issues caused by the alarm, as it has cut in before at high speed whilst overtaking bit dodge also bike sometimes stalls when approaching a junction pull in the clutch and it die's wait two secs dont have to turn off ignition just wait for red light on dash and press starter fires first time after and away you go again.

all these little things might be linked but am stumped here any advice welcome. Kind of spoiling my riding

Any Helps Thanks

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (19 October 2012 21:39)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

tt600

New Triumph tt600 how new?

Oh dear,common problem,

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/community/Forums/Categories/?searchText=triumph%20tt600

Low voltages will cause problems so can you give some battery voltage readings before starting after a hour/day/week riding the bike?   

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Triumph TT600

Hi Sket1234

If its shop bought,then take it back and ask for these problems to be fixed,this sounds like a very dangerous problem so take it to a repair shop before it causes you to have an accident.Good Luck

KCMC:tongue: 

Reply to this Topic
Sket1234

Feb 12

Sket1234 says:

Just wondering if the alarm could be the cause had it cut in the other whilst riding the deactivate straight away again bit odd have also noticed a few corroded eletrical connections just under the tank. It is rubbing somewhere and shorting out. Will be put in the garage if cant sort but would rather try to save the money as just been made redundant and just could do with a good day out on the bike. Thanks

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

info

just keep on wondering,like us without any replies.:wacko:

Reply to this Topic
Sket1234

Feb 12

Sket1234 says:

The battery is brand new so shouldnt be going flat something is draining the power when it isnt in use.
Anyone know where i can find a guide to removing the alarm as have replaced a problem i found previous owner had Rejoined the electrics with a house hold electrical block and not push connectors.
these are terribly corroded.

thanks

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

battery

I`ve just returned a 2 month old battery and replaced it with a Yuasa.

Reply to this Topic
Sket1234

Feb 12

Sket1234 says:

Replaced the battery with the one on my other Triumph tt600 and the same happens i was wondering if there anything which is interchangeable which could cause these problems

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Electrical issues.

“Rev counter needle goes nuts and bounces between 10k-13k”

This might be a fault code. I know Yamaha used to use regions of the rev counter in this way to indicate particular faults. Try Triumphrat.net

I doubt it’s your alarm, so I say keep it. Alarms are always the prime suspect when any electrical issues arise but I reckon that’s mostly unfair. They should be ok unless the installation has been bodged by an amateur.

I’d suspect the charging system.

Reply to this Topic
swen

Aug 08

swen says:

-

I also ride TT. Regarding dying revs: I experience the same intermittently too. There is that air bleeding valve controled by the stepper motor which controls idling/overrun/high low altitude conditions. That might be the cause.Good luck

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices