Skip to content

Ask an Expert Triumph TT600 Electrical Issues Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Triumph TT600 Electrical Issues

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Sket1234

Feb 12

Sket1234 says:

Triumph TT600 Electrical Issues

Hi i have bought a new triumph tt 600 it has a factory fitted alarm which keeps flattening the battery when not used for more then two weeks,

The bike also has a few erratic issues when above about 8000 rpm the rev counter needle goes nuts and bounces between 10k-13k and the engine management light flickers but the bike still revs smoothly also the dash lights dont work on the speedo and rev counter (Headlights and Indicators work), and the engine management light comes on then goes out after 3 cycles ride for another 300 miles or so and it comes back on for another cycle.

Are these issues caused by the alarm, as it has cut in before at high speed whilst overtaking bit dodge also bike sometimes stalls when approaching a junction pull in the clutch and it die's wait two secs dont have to turn off ignition just wait for red light on dash and press starter fires first time after and away you go again.

all these little things might be linked but am stumped here any advice welcome. Kind of spoiling my riding

Any Helps Thanks

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (19 October 2012 21:39)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Sket1234

Feb 12

Sket1234 says:

Have sorted the battery issues they were caused by a faulty reg/rec been replaced but still have the Rev counter go crazy above 8000 rpm and no lights in the dash i hear you can replace the bulbs by removing the clocks but need to find the cause because it is probs the cause of the bulbs blowing in the first place.
Any ideas ????
thanks for help so far

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Reg/rec.

A fauty reg/rec could have blown those lights and if that was the case you've already fixed the problem, you just need to replace the bulbs.

I recall reading here that the Triumph engine management light resets itself after three heat cycles. It's normal after a fault has occurred.

If the engine light hasn't come back on and the bike seems to be working OK you're just left with the irritating rev counter flicker. Disconnecting the battery might clear that. Otherwise you'll need dealer help as kcmc says.

Reply to this Topic
Sket1234

Feb 12

Sket1234 says:

There is still something not right i have done 3 heat cycles and the engine management light has gone out thats fine, The rev counter is still playing up and when at high revs the engine management light flickers but doesn't stay on and it flickers in time with the rev needle jumping. also when at idle after you blip the throttle or on a ride approaching junctions when you pull in the clutch the revs drop for a second then they spring back up to 1000rpm is this likely the stepper motor you where on about???  Changing parts from 1 TT600 to the other i own is possible so any ideas welcome
Cant Change Clocks One Has 50106 miles the other just 18000. Thanks

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Issues.

In addition to what's already been said, you might try raising the idle speed. It would still be worth checking the charging system to make sure the alternator is ok.

http://www.electrosport.com/technical-resources/library/diagnosis/pdf/fault-finding-diagram.pdf

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

charging

As my first post:blink:

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Jaffa,

Yep!
I think he's looking for a quick fix, like unplug component X and replace with new component Y. He'll be lucky! It'll take work.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Sket1234

Feb 12

Sket1234 says:

I have now replaced the bulbs in the dash but everytime i turn the lights on to side lights or main lights it blows the 5 amp fuse in the fuse box for the instrument lights and the clocks restart. The wiring diagram i have shows it  going to the light switch on the bars and the fuse box now where else. is there any way of identifying the fault with a multimeter. or is there is a common fault which causes this. Bit of a pain doing night riding when you cant see the speedo or revs makes life exciting. Thanks Getting there now some real shoddy electrics by previous owner people show know better.

Reply to this Topic
Sket1234

Feb 12

Sket1234 says:

Solved this now traced it to someone using a house hold electrical block and 3 wrong fuses a lot of corroded wiring and 2 blown dash bulbs .
Thanks for everyones help

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices