You are in... Forums > General > General > Surrey road resurfacing

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

zmike

May 12

zmike says:

Surrey road resurfacing

I remember years ago when they resurfaced roads they used to get the rollers out and do a proper job.

Now they chuck loose chippings on the top and expect the traffic to do that job. Which is great if you're in a Chelsea tractor (i am not).

Yes I know they put up 20mph warning signs but even at that speed you can still hear the stuff bouncing off your bike.

But to cap it all off I went for a spin up a particular local dual carriageway - first time for ages since that treatment was done and all the chippings had gone - and it looked as though someone had dragged a rake up it - thin permanent wavey lines in the road that were enough to make the bike wander alarmingly at speeds below the national limit!

Not being funny, but that was dangerous. How long will this penny-pinching method of road resurfacing survive? Until someone loses control and dies from it. That's how long.

I would write to my MP but MP's are useless at listening to bikers, the plebs.

Anyone else in the UK experience this? It's not all roads round here that are affected, but a dual-carriageway seems a particularly risky road to use it on.

Note to the Council: Sort it you plebs.

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (19 October 2012 23:21)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AlbertHerring

Nov 09

Surface dressing

They introduced it in the late 1960s in Bucks. Surprised if it's only just got to Surrey now.
Bloke I knew who worked for the council back then said that it had half the service life of a proper surface for a tenth of the cost, so obviously going to attract cash-strapped councils everywhere.

Reply to this Topic
zmike

May 12

zmike says:

You what?

I have been riding since the 80's but not in Surrey and I can't ever remember a road this bad. So what's with the wavey rake-like lines?

Jesus - I must have been lucky all this time. I've always had proper flat roads.

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

The

thinking is it increases grip level and assists water run-off, and Albert is correct about the time it was introduced, even in Slurrey.

Reply to this Topic
Beelady

Jan 10

Beelady says:

Horrible stuff.

They have seemingly resurfaced every little used road in Kent like this while ignoring all sorts of poor road surfaces and potholes on the main roads.

Good luck, Surrey. Wonder who's turn it will be next :upset:

Reply to this Topic
zmike

May 12

zmike says:

OK but wait....

....I can understand the argument that it increases grip and helps water to run off - but I'd still prefer a normal road thanks. Even when the chippings are bedded it's still shite.

What I still say is why does the dual carriageway look like someone has dragged a rake up it? This stuff is hard and has wavey lines in it. The bike shakes at 60 fgs!

No-one will convince me its normal practice to leave a road like that.

I'm going to have to take a photo next week.

Luckily I don't live in 'Slurrey' and have happier routes to work than having to use that one.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

its

we're talking where they grind up the surface, stick bitumen down (which destroys everyone's carpets) and reapply the ground up original surface?

generally done on smaller side streets, I have my doubts it's suitable for high speed roads given that if the surface isn't set, it could easily be destroyed by emergency braking at speed and contribute to an accident.

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Unfortunately

I do live in Slurrey, and luckily I have not found a road like you mention as of lately, as phil says its best to ride a little more sedately on surfaces such as you describe.

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

the local road near me they do that to glue down tones of gravel and say the road is fixed but its make it unsafe til its run in what take ages.

a road that was gravel like you say near my dads house had 2 car fish tale and them flip over about a week after the 20mph sids came down and wwnt back up to 60mph.

Reply to this Topic
Rugbyman

Jul 08

Rugbyman says:

Top dressing

They did that around Burton when we had that really torrential rain. The spray tar was setting BEFORE they put the gravel down, but they just carried on regardless. They might as well have chucked marbles all over the road.

It was lethal. 5mph was too fast on 2 wheels.

Council had to do it all again a fortnight later, tossers

Reply to this Topic
Beelady

Jan 10

Beelady says:

I thought the most stupid bit

was the way they sparayed over the grass growing down the centre of our lane and all the cow pats on the road too. Top job.

Really pointless as there are only four houses along the whole 2 miles of lane and almost all the traffic is tractors. Why bother? What a waste of money.

The lane has been swept four times since it was done but there's still plenty of loose grit. Road was done at the beginning of June.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle