Skip to content

Ask an Expert Passed test, now 19. New rider

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > New rider > Passed test, now 19.

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

jahagon

Mar 10

jahagon says:

Passed test, now 19.

I took my full bike test in April 2011 aged 17. I'm aware that after 2 years I can ride any bike without any restrictions. My question is as follows, do I have to wait two years from the date I passed my test or is it as soon as I turn 19 years old?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 October 2012 00:30)

Post a message in New rider

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Shaun25

Mar 12

Shaun25 says:

AFAIK

its 2 years from passing the test.

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Good on ya' dude!

I was 17 when I got a full licence too.   Took another couple of years before I could afford to get a bigger bike (and that was a 250).  Another year or so, up onto a 350, as cash allowed.

Point is, mate - you don't need to be in too much of a hurry, staying a while on a smaller bike (without L-plates!) will do you good.  You'll absolutely master the smaller bike, and progress when you're more than ready - which is far better than pushing the process, and jumping on a big bike ahead of time.

This isn't in the least bit patronising - there are plenty of blokes my age on bikes way too big and powerful for them, and I'm twice your age!

Reply to this Topic
jahagon

Mar 10

jahagon says:

Just in time too!

Thank God I did my license then. My brother's not so lucky and will have to do the new January 2013 tests- theory test, practical, wait two years on a 125, take another practical, wait two years on a 47bhp bike before taking a final practical at the age of 21 to be able to ride a motorbike of any power. I'll be there in a couple of months.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

It's

2 years from date of test.

SL makes a good point about taking time before stepping up; indeed, many fast riders are fast having learned to get the best from smaller bikes - a fast bike doesn't necessarily equal a fast rider.

Reply to this Topic
joshsilverman

Sep 12

Agree with SL

I would recommend what SL is saying too.

I went straight on a GSXR 600 and as a result I have a prosthetic right leg.

I am having to re-do my test at 25 years old and am going to restrict my bike for the first year or so even tho I dont have to.

Werent even doing anything stupid on the bike but you got to remember that when a large amount of Torque pulls you its kind of the bikes turn to drive!

Hope you make the right choice.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices