You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > Bulbs for winter

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Bulbs for winter

Just found that Ring do a 120% brighter than standard bulb, lasting 400-500 hours (about 1.5-1.7 years for me, commuting every day and a bit more on sat and sun).

Also Philips do a 100% brighter than standard blue tint bulb which, whilst losing out on overall brightness is still stupidly bright whilst having a slightly different colour that will a) stand out better when filtering and b) might make people look twice given it's a blue light. Based on the Philips Xtreme Vision (or Power, I get them confused), the bulb should last the same as the Ring at 400-500 hours.

Both are road legal and are on amazon at decent prices.

I'm also looking at an LED set up to mount below my standard bulb for extra visibility. Just can't decide which one to get, big or small.

EDIT:

Also for extra visibility you can probably get away with mounting the white version of this on the front of the bike or if you wear a hivis vest you could run it around that to make yourself a christmas tree. 

http://www.glow.co.uk/el-wire-glow-wire-products.html

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (20 October 2012 03:36)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Lights

Go for a proper HID set up.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

All E marked road legal bulbs

are very tightly controlled by UN-ECE-R37, and the +50%, +80%, +100%, +120% claims are wildly misleading!   Check the regulation and you'll see that for example any 12V/55W H7 must output luminous flux of 1500 lumens +/- 10%.  All those +### bulbs within are that +/- 10%.

What's going on?

Long life filaments run slightly less output but running slightly cooler and (yellower) for twice as long as the average bulb.

High brightness bulbs run their filaments hotter (meaning shorter life expectancy down to 200 hours for some) and output only a handful % more lumens.  They look brighter for two reasons (a) hotter filament = less yellow light, seeems brightet and (b)  tighter wound filament means a more intense light source which might focus better depending on the optics.  The nonsense +### claims are based on the peak intensity at the filament hot spot, not the total light thrown down the road.

By contrast a D1S or similar 35W HID capsule genuinely outputs 3200 lumens +/-14%, that's more than twice as much light as an H7, or more than three times the light of a dipped beam H4.

Fitting HID capsules to E marked headlamps designed for tungsten-halide bulbs may be illegal in many territories, and certainly it is illegal in the UK to use any lamp in a way that dazzles other road users.  Seems to be a popular mod though...

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

I did

wonder where the baseline for the percentage increase comes from.

I do know that my existing bulbs are very good compared to the OE bulbs I have used.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle