You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Clutch Push Rod Seal

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Foby

Aug 12

Foby says:

Clutch Push Rod Seal

I have a leaking clutch push rod oil seal on my 1996 Triumph Thunderbird 900 - when I pull in the clutch lever oil spews out.I checked that its not the slave cylinder seal. I have been told the seals are really for revolving shafts and not for being pushed in a sawing back to front action. Apparently this is a common fault on Triumphs. Does anyone know of any mods and do other manufacturers use this system? Many thanks for your advice!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (21 October 2012 19:48)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Triumph Thunderbird 900 1996

Hi Foby

Who ever told you that about the seals is talking nonsense as with fork seals its mainly grit and grim wearing the fine rubber sealing edge that causes leaks and with that seal being in an environment with chain lube and grit from the road its going to happen.Your bike is 16 years old.so unless this seal is leaking ever other month or something i think it done a good job to last this long(with or without any oil and grit).The fix is pry the old seal out(remove the push rod first and be careful not to damage the aluminium case sealing sides)drive the new seal in and replace the push rod,hopefully for the next 16 years:smile.Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
Foby

Aug 12

Foby says:

Push Rod

Thanks for your honest reply mate - I was also told to replace the pushrod at the same time as the seal as can wear at the seal point of contact. Is this bull as well?:smile

Reply to this Topic
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

clutch pushrod

Yes, the pushrod does wear, where it runs through the seal. But if it's nice and smooth, lightly grease it, and refit it  

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Triumph Thunderbird 900 1996

Hi again

As Fogie says,but

The clutch push rod runs down the middle of the gearbox lay shaft,as this shaft spins at quite high speed all the time the engine runs, the push rod can start spinning inside the shaft as well,usually after time and oil crud getting into this space with the push rod.If it has been spinning it will be obvious as there will be deep groves cut into the push rod shaft by the seal,you should replace it if this has happened,but if its a long enough push rod,and it hasn't got a specific end to fit say to a ball bear or a case hardening end(both ends the same),you can turn the push rod shaft around and fit it backwards(check it is straight by rolling it on a flat surface,replace if bent).If you can get to an air line,blow air down the lay shaft to clear any crud out before refitting the new push rod or the old one turned around with the new seal.If the shaft is a short one and would make it to the grove damage when the clutch is pulled then it will need replacing.Good Luck

KCMC:tongue: 

Reply to this Topic
Foby

Aug 12

Foby says:

Clutch Seal

Thanks again for the very useful replies guys - much appreciated. Unfortunately my bike is in bits so cant get to an air line so have you a tip so I can clean out any crud off the pushrod location on layshaft just to be sure?:smile

Reply to this Topic
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

cleaning

An aerosol of brake/clutch cleaner, small piece of rag, long thin screwdriver........... :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
Foby

Aug 12

Foby says:

Pushrod Seal

Thanks again - sometimes mate I cant see the obvious:wink:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN