Skip to content

Discuss This MCN IAM Better Riding Guide: Putting your bike away over winter General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > MCN IAM Better Riding Guide: Putting your bike away over winter

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Stefan Bartlett  says:

MCN IAM Better Riding Guide: Putting your bike away over winter

Over the past five weeks, the IAM have been offering advice on all aspects of biking. But as the temperature drops and the frost appears. It may be the time of year to put your bike away. Whether it’s the first time you’re doing it, or it’s a been a while since you’ve prepared your bike for storage, we can...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 October 2012 11:08)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
piroflip

Jul 10

piroflip says:

Far easier to..........

....................just go for a quick ride every other weekend or when the weather allows. I don't ride any distance in the winter but I do get out for a local 20 miles when the roads are dry. The combination of wet roads and salt are a bike killer.

Reply to this Topic
steady2wheels

Sep 08

summer riders are pansies

real bikers ride all year round, always amuses me when spring comes and i see old men wobble their way nervously around

Reply to this Topic
snapple

Apr 11

snapple says:

The Best Advice....

What Piroflip said... I commute too far to be riding everyday during winter but sunny cold weekends are some of the best riding days I reckon you can have, empty roads awesome scenery and the plod aren't as numerous (or so it seems) so you can "make progress" around your favourite roads without the fear of queues of caravans or sneaky PC's in the bushes armed with mobile gatso's sat around every bend.

Reply to this Topic
martynjoseph1

Sep 12

I have no choice but to...

I agree with steady2wheels and locktab, the bike is my only method of transport to my work and college and so have no choice but to use it 365 days of the year. If anything riding out the winter makes me a more experienced rider as I am able to handle myself and the bike when the weather does take a turn for the worse.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

It is with great relief....

That a serious article has been posted regarding preparing your bike for winter storage. Being somewhat Dim I have always found it difficult to think for myself a problem that has afflicted me for the past 35 years, 630000 miles and 47 motorcycles of all types and sizes. Enduring everything the British Climate has Thrown at me together with the many Man-Made hazards introduced by un-Biker friendly people....... Not to mention roundabouts. Now I see the error of my ways..... Don't ride until the weather gets better. Brilliant really...... hopefully this will keep me from having my first off as well, although according to the Riding Gods its only a matter of time.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Oh, I forgot to add....

I find it better to wipe the bike from front to back................... (Some may find that amusing, Most won't)

Reply to this Topic
northernbloke

Nov 11

Putting your bike away

It always makes me smile when I see the comment 'real bikers ride all year', how do you define a real biker? Some of us, yes the old men, have been riding since the seventies and some longer, we rode in all weathers at all times of the year, for fun and necessity and in a lot of cases, mine included, it was our only form of transport. I, fortunately dont need to use my bike all year round now, I use it only for enjoyment and if that means on my days off, which are often mid week, going out for a ride with a few mates and enjoying what my bike can do on dry clear roads, with little police presence then so be it, I'm not a real biker. But when it comes to trade up whose not going to spend as much money to replace their bike, me with a well looked after, clean bike or you with a rust strewn, salt ridden piece of junk. But please dont take this as a slur on those who choose or have to ride all year, its their choice, same as it is ours not to ride on slippy, salt ridden pot holed pieces of turd our government laughingly call roads. 

Reply to this Topic
northernbloke

Nov 11

Putting your bike away pt 2

PS; up north winter usually starts in the middle of September !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to this Topic
sprintst955

Jun 09

sprintst955 says:

northern bloke

I am northerner living in the south .i absolutely agree 100 % it makes me laugh when people say they enjoy riding in winter,sadists aside they really mean bollocks i wish i had a car,warm ,dry ,radio on ,whats not to like.the traffic jam thing isnt that bad where i live and is overstated unless you live in the smoke.cue a load of drivel from the macho men hahahaha

Reply to this Topic
seniorspanner

Jan 09

Ha Ha

IAM (I Am Marvellous) riding guide to NOT riding your bike - could'nt make it up!! Avoid salt if possible otherwise soak in FS365 or ACF 50.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle