Skip to content

Discuss This MCN IAM Better Riding Guide: Putting your bike away over winter General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > MCN IAM Better Riding Guide: Putting your bike away over winter

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Stefan Bartlett  says:

MCN IAM Better Riding Guide: Putting your bike away over winter

Over the past five weeks, the IAM have been offering advice on all aspects of biking. But as the temperature drops and the frost appears. It may be the time of year to put your bike away. Whether it’s the first time you’re doing it, or it’s a been a while since you’ve prepared your bike for storage, we can...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 October 2012 11:08)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Room101

Oct 12

Room101 says:

some of the best riding can be had in the winter

I must admit I don’t know why the IAM bothered with this article, they should stick to the riding articles. My winter plan is ride – wash – repeat, some of the best riding days can be had in the winter, still plenty of dry but cold days and you get some of the best country twisties to yourselves.

Reply to this Topic
taz_of_tazmania

Nov 02

Dry it off before you put it away

If you wash your bike before putting it away for winter, make sure it's dry. In a cold garage that water can sit in little pools that can corrode bare metal, brake discs go rusty if left wet. Don't do what I did and forget to slide a bit of thin plastic between the pads and discs or they can stick together (I've used old credit cards or cut up bits of milk carton). Stuck pads can cause a weak point to form on the disc and ultimately can cause the disc to break. An expensive mistake I won't make again in a hurry. I've heard that filling up the tank to reduce moisture from the air building up on the inside is good too. On the flip side the fuel can gum up carbs so maybe it's just better to not put it away but just wait for the few sunny dry days we get to blow away the cobwebs...

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

"REDLINE DAYS"

During the next 5 months we will see Councils plastering millions of tons of salt all over perfectly dry roads and millions more on wet roads that are wet due to the amount of salt they applied previously. I have a theory that salted roads sweat and remain wet and slippery until the next downpour. During this period a fair few windows of opportunity will arise, These are brilliant and help keep "rider rust" at bay. To ride through the winter months helps to build confidence and develop the finer arts of throttle control and an understanding of grip. So if you want to get ... cold, wet, covered in salt and general crud then Don't put the bike away. if on the other hand you want to preserve your pride and joy then follow the above guidelines. As for me ? I look forward to those "windows of opportunity" So I can hit the "REDLINE" once again.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

You can never be too protective

imho :biggrin:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Looks like it may have been "rear ended" !

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

@ snev

Front-to-back to reduce the potential for yeast infections.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Go For It

Get yourself some MX protective gear meant to be worn under clothing, insulated coveralls and/or snowmobile suit large enough to fit over (preferably at a second-hand shop), and an inexpensive dual-sport bike, then go out and ride. Carbide studs will help a lot on ice (where legal).

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

Salt is Hygroscopic

Snev is correct, salty road surfaces attract moisture and this will result in a slippery mess which stays put until some decent rainfall washes it away. Just another reason to avoid riding in these conditions, in addition to the corrosion of your pride-and-joy which the nasty stuff causes.

Reply to this Topic
rcraven

Nov 08

rcraven says:

hybernation

With all the salt and other corrosives being used on the road just a reminder to was off the bike sooenest when you get home, do not jet wash it as that can bedetrimental if the powerfull jet gets into places it shouldnt being electrical or bearings etc.

DO NOT WASH THE BIKE IN WARM/ HOT WATER. although one may believe one is doing a better job the heat in the water will magnify the corrosive effects of the salt so use cold water, before then wash the bike then cold water rinse. ok.

Reply to this Topic
domster

Sep 12

domster says:

Road muck

Isn't the reason salted roads stay wet all day molasses is added to stop it washing away? If all moving parts are well greased they shouldn't sieze, just let filth build up to form a protective coat & wash off in spring.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices