Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: Does cold weather affect your concentration? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: Does cold weather affect your concentration?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: Does cold weather affect your concentration?

"How much does cold weather riding affect your concentration? When I go out in the freezing cold on my long commutes all I seem to think about is getting home quickly and I feel like my concentration starts to slide. I wrap us as warm as my budget allows but after an hour the cold just seeps in anyway. I'd...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 October 2012 17:24)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
masterofpuppets

May 12

warm

your better off investing in some good gear that will keep you warm on your journey's and wear some good winter base layers if that doesn't help then don't ride through the colder months

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

the only problems i find in winter is that  proper winter gloves dont work that well. and i still get frozen hands.

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Get the right kit and it's a doddle

I ride with heated gloves in the cold of winter and they are the best safety device you can ever imagine for cold weather riding. The heating element is on the outside of your hands and go all the way to finger tips so the cold NEVER starts to be noticed. the same company do heated socks etc so extremities can remaing nice and cushtie at all times even in the coldest of UK winters

Reply to this Topic
Homer40

Nov 10

Homer40 says:

Snow and ice.......

....If i wanted to ride something when its snowing or the ground is rock solid, i buy a snow mobile or some ice skates.

Tried motox in the winter in Wales, hard work, fun..................... but hard work.

Reply to this Topic
muddybus

Aug 10

muddybus says:

Of course it does

Tyres are harder, the tarmac isn't as sticky, wet patches and leaves everywhere, so you do need to concentrate that bit more. As for myself, I don't get any pleasure out of riding in the cold or wet. I can do it, sometimes have to do it, but I don't enjoy it. The right gear is essential, warm, yet allowing movement. Other things that affect my concentration more are needing to pee, thirst and hunger.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Please Sir. Can I comment?

There are Times when I have been so numb with cold that I have been literally unable to continue due to frozen hands, feet, Knees not to mention "nose Icicles" ( I was going to say SNOT but Thought better of it) In 35 years I have never found the "Ultimate" cold weather gear and have purchased any amount of Gloves, Jackets, Trousers, Boots, Helmets (Schuberth S1 Pro = Awesome) and Heated Items. I can't say I have lost concentration but would admit to be pre-occupied with dealing with the cold which probably doesn't help but hey ho thats Biking in the UK.

Reply to this Topic
DaveyM

Aug 03

DaveyM says:

You can put on a pair of the gloves available on the forecourts under your gloves, keeps the chill off.  Shoving a newspaper down the front of your jacket and trouser legs does the same.  A one piece waterproof suit keeps a surprising amount of chill off you, doesn't need to be raining to be of use.  Carrier bags over your feet then put your boots back on.

Alternatively buy a BMW with heated seats and grips and a heated jacket...............cushty

Reply to this Topic
momomomo

Apr 12

momomomo says:

Layers

I might be stating the obvious but the key is to keep the core of the body warm where all the vital organs reside... If your body temperature goes down it automatically withdraws heat from the extremities. I.e. feet, hands, legs and arms then head. It is a survival mechanism. Although I ride mostly in town, I do ride all year round and the old double jacket always seems to do the trick for me. This year I might try a heated waistcoat. Heated grips are fairly ineffective and heated gloves will not help much if your core is getting cold. Of course if you prepare for a long journey and wear a full complement of thermal under your clothes and riding gear you are sorted!

Reply to this Topic
sprintst955

Jun 09

sprintst955 says:

sod it

nowadays i find the best way to stay warm is using my car when it gets shitty.in the past however my biggest problem was my hands i could cope with being frozen everywhere else,the best solution i found was fur lined sheepskin mitts inside wax cotton overmitts the sheepskin mitts worked because they kept all my fingers together rather than seperate in normal gloves.as momo says layers are best for the rest of the body.

Reply to this Topic
lfoggy

Oct 12

lfoggy says:

A heated waistcoat and heated grips  have completely revolutionised my cold weather riding. No need to bother with cumbersome layers, just a thin top,  the waistcoat and a jacket. Keeping your core warm seems to keep hands and feet warm too. Add a pair of heated grips and you can then wear fairly light gloves as well. Temperatures down to 2 or 3 degrees are easy with this gear.....

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices