Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: Does cold weather affect your concentration? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: Does cold weather affect your concentration?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: Does cold weather affect your concentration?

"How much does cold weather riding affect your concentration? When I go out in the freezing cold on my long commutes all I seem to think about is getting home quickly and I feel like my concentration starts to slide. I wrap us as warm as my budget allows but after an hour the cold just seeps in anyway. I'd...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 October 2012 17:24)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

if you can't keep warm

take the train until you can. Being warm and comfortable is essential.

Winter is the season of Gortex - it drives moisture out from the warmth to the cold and the drier inner layers keep you warmer than moist layers would. I find my old Hein Gericke Goretex needs its thermal linings in and optional bib attached to the trousers when it gets much below freezing, but with just a shirt underneath this kit has worked well down to -11°C! The only problem is when you take it off wet, as once you remove your core the moisture will even out again - put it on clammy and it takes about half an hour for body heat to get the moisture pumping back out again.

Silk helmet liner / balaclava if it's below -5° too.

Best tip? Wrap yourself around the heat of a sports bike and keep yourself out of the wind.

AlpineStars SMX4/5 waterproof boots keep my toes cosy enough.

Remaining problem as the years go by, winter gloves are not enough, phase change materials are okay for 10-20 minutes only, even heated grips are not enough either. Cheap silk inner gloves help but waterproof over-gloves or handlebar muffs really sort out the wind chill and then all is toastie.

In my experience on an upright naked, anything with with off-road aspirations (coldest bike ever - GS650 xcountry), or even a faired adventure style bike, you get much more wind blast from head to toe, especially thighs, belly and shoulders, and you need to pile more layers on to keep warm and safe.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Silk liners can sod off

For me, they just fill any air gap and transfer heat away.  Maybe if my gloves and lid didn't fit to begin with they'd help.

Get yourself wrist deep in muff and you'll never look back.

Goretex lined army boots over decent socks take care of the feet, and the rest is just a merino base layer then wooly jumpers.  A really warm neck face tube is essential.

But for all that, yes, there does come a time when all you can think about is getting home and the concentration goes. But if you're that risk averse, why are you riding a bike in the first place?

Reply to this Topic
domster

Sep 12

domster says:

Best to divert cold air around you and use engine heat by adding a tall screen,legshields, heated grips and muffs, all day comfy and safe.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

RogerBorg

I love your innocence..." Get yourself wrist deep in muff" See if I wrote that I'd get Told off.

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

It's Europe's fault!

Vote UKIP,  stop these European buggers bringing all this foreign cold weather to us every Winter!

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Oh slow learner ....

You're such a card...... Be warned though, some on here don't approve of Sarcasm and Wit...... Not until they reach Bronze member Status at least!

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Best Cold Weather Gloves

Best cold weather gloves I have found are Aerostich Insulated Elkskin Gauntlet Gloves – combined with heated grips there is no need to be arsed with unreliable and cumbersome heated gloves. Have a US friend order a pair for you. Best of all, I can operate my garage door numerical pad, and even pick a coin up off the ground while wearing them.

www.aerostich.com/aerostich-insulated-elkskin-gauntlet-gloves-14.html

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Heat Exchanger?

Some manufacturer should find a way to keep the rider warm with all the waste heat from the engine.

Reply to this Topic
shorty42

Sep 12

shorty42 says:

Yep, cold weather does affect your concentration, BUT, only if you do not kit up in preparation for the cold, if you have 1 ounce of sense you will put your cold weather gear on & keep nice & warm & then your concentration levels will be at the same high level they should be instead of just thinking how chilly you are & how nice that hot coffee will taste !! LOL

Reply to this Topic
lukejr1

May 12

lukejr1 says:

I find when going to work in the winter the best thing is to go into your garage take a knee beside your beloved two wheeled mistress and mutter the words "Soon the weather will get better, soon" knowing full well that this is england and the chances are slim, then go to your four wheeled metal carcas and think "I'm moving to Australia" 

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices