Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Do you have any idea what’s going on with the new licensing laws? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Do you have any idea what’s going on with the new licensing laws?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Do you have any idea what’s going on with the new licensing laws?

New changes to the law are being brought in in January due to EU legislation that will see new riders potentially forced to take three tests before being allowed access to bikes greater than 47bhp. With much confusion about the structure that will replace the current one when these changes come into force, we ask - do you have any idea what’s...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (22 October 2012 17:25)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

I'll clear it up for you

A 17 he will be able to do a CBT and ride a 125cc making up to 11kW, and that's it.  There's no legal way to get on anything bigger until he's 19 (possibly bar some hijinks by joining the army).

He can choose to do an A1 light test on it, but all that'll do is let him take the L plates off, carry a pillion and go on the motorway.  It won't let him get on a bigger bike.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

You can

vote UKIP. Sorry to bang on about it but it's quite simple - if they are a big enough threat to the government's majority (at 10-12% they're getting there) there will be a referendum. And it'll have to be a proper in/out one just like the Scots are having.

It's mad that MPs are supposed to represent us and Cameron doesn't want a referendum, completely ignoring the wishes of the people and his party because in HIS pathetic opinion we are better off in the EU, despite evidence to the contrary.

Don't vote Labour, they'll just spend even more, don't vote conservative as they're a bunch of liers and we're spending more (and borrowing more as tax revenue has dropped) regardless of their cuts, vote for a party that'll actually make some changes and get us out of this bureaucrat run mess.

Reply to this Topic
Cypher6

Jul 11

Cypher6 says:

Less bikers once again...

Another shame to see so many would be bikers being put off by the cost and stupid confusing rules. My girlfriend has been really excited about doing her test and getting her dream pink custom bike for several years, but once again this whole system seems to have completely put her off. Yes I admit a pink custom is a bit of a travesty, but at least it would mean another leather loving blonde on the road. I just fear we'll see less and less taking up biking as either a hobby or as a transport method.

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Stop banging on about UKIP FFS

Cameron was absolutely right (for the only time in his life) when he called UKIP and its members "Loonies, fruit-cakes and closet racists".  

This is demonstrated by the knee-jerk reactions of a couple of posters here every single time anything comes up regarding Europe.

Just to clarify, it's Amerika that's running our show, not bloody Europe - wtf don't these UKIP nutters bang on about that for a change?

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Stop banging on about UKIP FFS

Cameron was absolutely right (for the only time in his life) when he called UKIP and its members "Loonies, fruit-cakes and closet racists".  

This is demonstrated by the knee-jerk reactions of a couple of posters here every single time anything comes up regarding Europe.

Just to clarify, it's Amerika that's running our show, not bloody Europe - wtf don't these UKIP nutters bang on about that for a change?

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

I am

a loony, not quite a fruitcake and definitely not a closet racist.

All I'm saying is that as the Tories are going back on their "cast iron guarantee" there's now only one way to insulate ourselves from this utter crap coming from Europe.

Plus, they'll never get into power, they'll simply force a proper referendum by sapping votes.

EDIT: they do mention America's involvement but it's Brussels to which we have surrendered our sovereignty, not Washington. 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
HOSBUSA

Sep 09

HOSBUSA says:

Rogerborg

Thanks for explaining it to me.

11Kw seems a bit low for a 125cc bike? Does that low  power output exclude any 125 models for learners? I know very little about current 125s having passed my bike test a few decades ago.

It seems bikes are being targetted again instead of young drivers generally. Learner drivers in cars are not receiving a similar change in the law I assume?

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Learner power

11kw is 14.6BHP. Thats just about enough power for a learner bike to get to about 65mph (on a flat or downhill road).

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

@ SlowLearner

What does the US have to do with this?

I passed a 25-question written test, took my riding test on a Honda NHX110 (aka Lead 110) scooter, and could have legally ridden away afterwards on a 500-HP, Dodge Viper V-10 powered Boss Hoss.

0.tqn.com/d/motorcycles/1/0/p/n/-/-/viper_v10_bike.jpg

Reply to this Topic
frugaltail

Feb 12

frugaltail says:

for real

At 18 you can fight and die for your country, you can own a sports car ... even race in moto GP. But lets be honest you cant be trusted with anything over a 125cc FOR YOUR OWN SAFTY! need I say more?

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices