Skip to content

Discuss This Poll - When is your bike going away for the winter? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll - When is your bike going away for the winter?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll - When is your bike going away for the winter?

With the clocks changing next weekend and the winter weather closing in, a lot of bikes are already packed away until it's safe to venture out without getting soaked through. However, there's some brave souls whose bikes don't see the inside of a a garage for the colder months. So, when is your bike going away for the winter, or will...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 October 2012 17:26)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
lukejr1

May 12

lukejr1 says:

Love to but..

I'd love to ride all year round, but having a newer R1 the depreciation just isnt worth it...  :(

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

Never Mind My Bike......

The weather has been so crappy I've hardly got my car out this "summer". :laugh:

To answer the question: since I don't actually need to ride my bike in poor weather it stays tucked up in the garage until the roads are clean and dry. That way I don't spend a day cleaning it after a brief ride and I don't wipe ££££'s off it's value.

And that voting option should be "Before" the first road-salt lands. After would be too late.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Depreciation

A new Bike will always depreciate.... and most lose thousands in the first two or three years regardless of condition. However, a well maintained and cared for "minter" will always command a higher price come trade-in or Private sale, it's just a shame that in order to optimize the resale value you don't get to enjoy riding it during the long, dark winter months. Short of riding in snow and Potential Black Ice Conditions, I still try to get out as often as possible just because I enjoy Riding. However I also own a few other bikes which will be "tucked up nice and Cozy" The Busa draws the short straw and gets ridden throughout the winter and looks all the worse for it TBH. Come april I will probably trade it in for a new Bike.... Rust, Crust and all.

Reply to this Topic
Dr Mengle

Apr 03

Dr Mengle says:

I will definately put mine away

My riding season will end on December 31st 2012. It will re-start on January 1 2013.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Dr mengle..

Apparently the word will end on 21st december , so i wouldn't worry too much.

Reply to this Topic
bikerlad707

Sep 11

bikerlad707 says:

sumer time bikers , iv shit um

its true i have 2 blackbirds , one i use for long trips the other is an all year round bike, so i do use my bike winter & sumer , with 102.000 miles on the clock it shows i ride my bikes.

but its whatever floats your boats ,

ps i do have heated grips makes a hellova difference , nice warm hands mmm

Reply to this Topic
r1stevie

Oct 08

r1stevie says:

sleep

my road bike goes away when the salt goes down but ive got a trial bike and a enduro i compete on so all year round fun so get yourselfs of road guys and girls itl make you a better fitter rider have fun

Reply to this Topic
JUtona675

Oct 12

JUtona675 says:

My Triumph always looks that extra bit stunning dressed in some tinsel when riding it in Dec ;-)

Reply to this Topic
Harv88

Jul 10

Harv88 says:

Rode my YZF-R125 through two horrible winters on snow and ice.

Only a feet of snow would stop me riding.

Reply to this Topic
Jarrefan

Nov 09

Jarrefan says:

Now that the wife's working, don't have a choice, have to use the stead through the winter months. Doing a service as soon as my new magnetic drain plug comes through the post. Anyway, winter riding sharpens your skills on a bike.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices