Skip to content

Discuss This Poll - When is your bike going away for the winter? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll - When is your bike going away for the winter?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll - When is your bike going away for the winter?

With the clocks changing next weekend and the winter weather closing in, a lot of bikes are already packed away until it's safe to venture out without getting soaked through. However, there's some brave souls whose bikes don't see the inside of a a garage for the colder months. So, when is your bike going away for the winter, or will...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 October 2012 17:26)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

I

remember one year I was on super soft tyres (2500 miles, if you were very good with them 3000) and it was stupidly icy.

Guess who was the idiot decided that putting his "advanced riding skills" to the test and riding at full pelt, 20 miles to his unwell girlfriends was a good idea.

I rode past multiple accidents, including going almost knee down around a roundabout where there was a volvo embedded within the large 'turn left' sign on the roundabout where the poles for the sign for just slightly narrower than the width of a volvo.

Got there (and stayed over, no way I was doing that again) without a problem at all. I think luck more than anything else, certainly my (then) belief that black ice can be recognised as long as you have two light sources (I've found to be no longer valid but it) seemed to help me on that day. I believe it was then christmas eve and the gritters had been out only that morning and it was damned cold, certainly requiring a second going over given the accidents I passed...

Would I do it again? Yeh probably. Not with these tyres though. Utter crap in the wet so they'd kill me on ice.

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

still using my summer gear .

well as i am still riding in my summer gear  i wont need to think about the snow and ice come for a bit plus i will be buying a £150 van to use to keep my bike off the ice. as they never gritted the back road near me.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Which bike?

I'll likely switch back to the GPz 305, it drops really well.  I binned it on black ice last year, it landed square on the indicator and just... sat there.  Didn't bend, didn't even crack the lens.  Must be the effect of the proud Made In Japan embossing on every single part.

Reply to this Topic
RICHARD545

Sep 10

RICHARD545 says:

Not if i can help it

Not till it snows, until then i'll keep dodging the muppets that cant even wipe the dew from their car windows let alone scrape the ice off them in case they get their pinkies cold !!!!

Reply to this Topic
domster

Sep 12

domster says:

Tall screen, legshields, heated grips and muffs plus heidenau snowtex tyres.Cosy and FUN!!

Reply to this Topic
offordc

Nov 05

offordc says:

One in one out

The Sprint is in the garage for the duration but my trusty little 03 FZ600 Faser will be back & forth to work every single day as it does all year every year, i love that little bike, wish they still made them.

Reply to this Topic
DrWorm

Jul 11

DrWorm says:

2 wheels good

I no longer own a car due to stupid insurance costs despite having 9 yrs no claims so I will be on the motorbike or push bike everyday as usual.  If the weather gets very bad I will probably run to work as I would rather take a bath in acid (or fall on ice) than pay the £3.50 bus fare each way to work.

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Keep 'em running...

Going to carry on using the bikes throughout.   Personally I don't get much joy riding it in pissing rain and on sludgy roads, and - call me a wuss - I avoid doing so.   But there are plenty of moderately nice days every month of the year, so it would be daft to pack it away until Spring.

Reply to this Topic
brevav2

Feb 09

brevav2 says:

Winter Riding....Enjoy

The (once) common theme of putting our bikes on the road from April until the end of Sept has been consigned to the dustbin, due to the changed weather patterns here in the UK

We have a pattern (sadly) of crap wet summers going back to 2007,( not that they were much better before that!) ,with this year being the worst in living memory, hence if your waiting for fine weather you are not going to get out very often!,  Very often the late autumn, and indeed the winter itself turns out  better with less rain than the spring/summer, and not to cold either,  Yes, its dark earlier, and there's the salt to contend with, but its a chance to get out, and at the same time improve your skill levels too, and if your feeling flush and dont want to get your new bike dirty you can always buy a cheapish winter bike.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Snow?

My Yamaha TW200 works pretty well in the snow on the stock Bridgestone TW34 Trail Wing knobbies. The 13-HP at the rear wheel helps keep things rubber side down, and the 280-pound wet weight makes it easy to pick back up.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices