You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > buying a bike

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

trsdetail

Oct 12

trsdetail says:

buying a bike

i passed my full test a few months back and have a fair experience with different types of bikes im looking to buy a bike in the next few weeks and just wondering what people would consider the best all round bike to get it'll be used daily for work but also at weekends for fun and will be doing long rides on occasion iv got my eye on a 2007 model sv650 but im also looking at a bandit or a fazer but am most tempted by the sv is this the right choice

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 October 2012 19:12)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Bike choice

Any of those would make a good first bike.  Why not test ride an example of each and see which floats ya boat.

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

First proper bike

MarcusMarsh is absolutely right - all of these bikes are fine.   The sv650 will be a bit more torquey,  the Bandit and Fazer are a bit more sporty with a better top end.

You might also like to consider a GSX650F too - very good all-round bike, I was happy with mine and consider it excellent value for money.  (It's like a Bandit only a bit more refined.)

Reply to this Topic
Ben4658

Jan 13

Ben4658 says:

Buying a bike

Hi there im just wondering if you could help me out.. Iv'e been riding motorbikes now for 5 years. I passed my Test and because of the course i did when i passed i could ride any cc of motorcycle as i had a cat A license. I got myself a 2007 suzuki sv650-Sport. Im now a little bit bored of a 650 and wanting to go to a 1000cc sports bike. Insurance isnt a problem as iv'e had some really cool quotes :biggrin:. Im just wondering wich 1000cc sportsbike do you think its better??. Im fancying either an Aprilia RsvR, RSVR-Factory, gsxR-1000.. Or the Kawasaki ZX10R. Id be very happy if some fellow bikes could lend me a hand in such a tough decission to pick a 1000cc sports bike as there are tonnes to chose from. And i dont want to go get one then end up hating it and decidecing should of got an Inline or stuck with the V. Please help me.... Thanks Ben

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

I'm no expert but...

Hi Ben,

You should have a good look, and also take a test ride and see. Also ask yourself what you want - do you want more performance but similar characteristics and sound to the SV or do you want to have a four cylinder sound with a particular high end rush?  Also look at how much you want to spend (do you want to buy new or a couple of years old etc ).. The Aprillas are very loved by some of their owners and are made with very high quality gear. The owners club is quite strong too. I would be a little nervous about using one every day (my experience about italian engineering rather than anything specific - if you are considering one try and find a forum...).

If I was in your position I would be including the  modern blade (CBR1000) in my shortlist. The reviews have always scored it highly for usability and generally only score it below the BMW S1000 for performance. (which is also very good).

The modern 1000cc fours are very small and the riding position quite cramped so if you are fairly tall or if you want to tour you might find something like the Aprilla more suitable. (although some do tour on the R1 !).

Andy.

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

to the OP

i would say buy the SV, i had one for about 6 months going back a few years, cracking little bikes, handle with enough clout to be interesting and the potential to improve at little cost what performance there is. the price new and the "cult" status of them would be enough to get one over the other bikes you mentioned.

Ben i would say that out of the bikes you've mentioned , i would be going for the Gsxr 1000, but be warned even with 5 years of experience behind you, any one of the 1000's are a hand full,but the Gsxr would be the "easiest" to ride out of your choices as long as its given a healthly respect

have fun both whichever you choose!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices