Skip to content

Discuss This Video: BMW F700GS vs Rivals First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Video: BMW F700GS vs Rivals

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Video: BMW F700GS vs Rivals

The new BMW F700GS replaces the old F650GS for 2013, although capacity remains at 800cc. We tested it against the Kawasaki Versys, Suzuki V-Strom 650 and Triumph Tiger 800 to see which is the best mid range adventure bike.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (23 October 2012 11:18)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jimbo8098

Nov 11

jimbo8098 says:

Good Test

But seemed a bit different in quality to other reviews , new faces to me though (except one) ah well :)

I've got a V-Strom 650 2012 and sat on a Versys circa 2009 (I think) and the versys feels low down for how high the seat is. The bike , while on paper is the same weight as a V-Strom , feels lighter somehow. It definitely felt as though it would have a sportier feel.

The V-Strom 650 is definitely more touring oriented than the Versys. The bigger screen , wider seat and the huge panniers and top case provided with the grand tourer (£2000 worth of extras) underlines that. I know a guy  who has taken the slightly older strom (2011) to Italy , France , Germany etc all in one go and not felt the strain. He still loves it.

I've not racked up nearly as much mileage as him but I have ridden it on the bumpy twisties in Arran , the highland roads near Durness and the forestry roads of Galloway and it can keep up with bigger bikes despite the lack of power.

I've ridden it every weekday since I bought it and done some long stretches on it and can honestly say it is magic compared to my old XT 600. Everyone who has a Strom loves it. Look at the number of forums for the Strom and you will see!

The riding should bear proof of this in the next vid though. I'm excited to see how it stacks up to the BM and the Triumph.

Reply to this Topic
steady2wheels

Sep 08

I cant speak for the others but I have ridden the versys, and that was one of the most fun little bikes I have ever ridden, it was nothing like what i expected.

Reply to this Topic
domster

Sep 12

domster says:

locktab

To avoid exposed chain drive silliness try; Bmw f800st, Honda nt700/dn01, moto guzzi 750's, Yamaha tmax. Bear in mind feet forward riding needs a back rest to benefit. Shafty tourers may suit for regular pillion carrying. All can be had for similar money with low mileage. Finally, to dismiss anything without riding it yourself really would be silly.

Reply to this Topic
CobbZ

Jun 10

CobbZ says:

music

Jesus, the music gets fucking annoying on this video!

Reply to this Topic
DLman123

Feb 11

DLman123 says:

Language

@CobbZ Was it necessary to blaspheme the name of the only one who can keep you out of hell?

Reply to this Topic
mikehannan

Jun 11

mikehannan says:

Again!

Yet another GS bike test with no luggage, only hard roads and no pillions.  Surely this is just self indulgent.  Why don't you get someone who knows something about GS riding (ie someone who has done RTW two up) and then get an opion worth the listening time? 

Reply to this Topic
pricejrp

Aug 02

pricejrp says:

F700 GS

Totally pointless model with the F800 GS around. Why have they bothered?

Reply to this Topic
stuarthw

Sep 09

stuarthw says:

To me it was worth watching . Thanks Guys ! Personally I love the Triumph and the GS. the Japanese bikes seem to lack character and look unexciting. However , I'm baffled.... why are there so many miserable comments ? Why do so many MCN readers post such negative stuff ?

Reply to this Topic
terraunbound

Nov 12

terraunbound says:

apples to apples

Looking forward to future segments such as when (if) they take the bikes off-road or even onto a fire-road a bit. When it came down to testing riding, the 'pointless model with the F800 GS around' F700 meant that I could touch the ground. The Versys was a close runner. Still undecided in some ways so hope to see more testers take these models out to try their paces.

Reply to this Topic
DaveyM

Aug 03

DaveyM says:

Is the other video of this ever going to be put online?  It's not the first time I've watched a vid and prepared for part 2 and it never turn up!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices