Skip to content

Discuss This Modest expectations for Valentino Rossi in Australia MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Modest expectations for Valentino Rossi in Australia

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Modest expectations for Valentino Rossi in Australia

Valentino Rossi has only modest expectations heading into this weekend’s Phillip Island MotoGP clash in Australia. The Italian doubts he will be a podium challenger on Sunday at the spectacular coastal track and he has completely written off any chance of winning a fifth Australian Grand Prix in the last six for Ducati. Home favourite Casey Stoner never lost a Phillip Island...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (24 October 2012 13:41)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Bob Buttamasangy

Jul 08

Why go and ruin 2 years of consistent results with a respectable result here then?

Modest... my fucking arse! Modesty would have this waster hiding his head in shame and his cakehole firmly shut! It was cold and wet last year and how did that end then ya dickhead!

It's always the same fkn dribble from this drip, just a different day.

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Aced77

Nice post... I too would love to see him on the Duc again... dream on...

"I think that Rossi and crew have certainly made the bike easier to ride and obviously it needs further development to be any where near the Yamaha or Honda"

I'd like to know what facts you base this certainty on. 1st race in 2011, 16 secs off the pace & 7th, last dry race in 2012, 26 secs off the pace & 7th, 1st wet race 2011, 5th (though may have been higher if he'd stayed on)... last wet race 2012, 5th. It's a yo-yo ride with highs (a dry 2nd place) & lows (10th I think)... Rossi had 2 damp self-blame race crashes last year... he's had 1 dry one this year... the figures show no certainty to me when compared with his rivals (& remember, his 1st races he was supposedly carrying an injured shoulder!).

Wosi sighted a 95 point comparison for the last 6 races (the points Stoner got in his last 6) to show that, in 2012, they had made the improvements necessary to say that he'd left them with a competitive bike... needless to say it's a mute comparison.

I guess you're probably right... all the bikes should be easier to ride as development continues... it's the comparison with the development of the other bikes that counts. Rossi/Ducati are pretty much where they were 2 years ago... they needed to be better, but at best they were only as good as their competition.

The same could probably be said of Casey's last 2 years at Ducati... he was higher up the ladder, winning races, but in 2010 showed minimal improvement over the previous year when compared with the competition.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

The very obvious insinuation within Jerry's comments

BB were that he really expected to be able to dial away the problems of previous riders. Mr "I've never met a motorcycle I cannot set-up".  Perhaps so, his biggest problem being that Rossi himself ran out of adjustment.

Jerry was stuck in the past together with Rossi and his slathering yellow hordes of knuckle draggers. Although some of the comments that have come out this year have displayed Jerry's frustration that Rossi has been unable to adapt and change.  Rossi is a relatively passive rider from a slower era in comparison to the dynamism exhibited by the two HRC boys for example.

Reply to this Topic
DirtyHarry46

Apr 11

DirtyHarry46 says:

Nostro

Which era u r talking about/?? Moving to Ducati was his mistake sure...But he was winning races even in 2010

Reply to this Topic
Eddy998

Oct 06

Eddy998 says:

Triptaka

I thought that's what I said, good riddance to him. We only have to suffer 2 more "races" Lol! Ciao

Reply to this Topic
cornbowl

May 12

cornbowl says:

Unlikely

Rossi's performance as a MotoGP rider, to the end of 2010, will ever be bettered, 9 World titles, 6 straight wins at PI with Honda and Yamaha. Rossi back on that M1 next year, things go back to as they were, the synergy is in place, he's motivated, not by money, he's got a shit load of that, but to win that 10th championship. All Rossi has to deal with next year, will be his team mate JL, Pedrosa, and after 3 - 4 races, Marquez.

The Ducati project is sunk before it starts, if and that's a big if, they can sort it, who's up to challenging, regularly, for wins and podiums, Spies, do me a favour, Nicky, I don't think so, Iannone, he'll be fast but he needs to finish, and that's going to be his weak point, Oh, Dovi, well he's just signed away the end of his career, on that Duke, anyway. 

Reply to this Topic
cheekymonkey

Aug 02

cheekymonkey says:

Pretty much

on the money there Cornball, except for some reason I don`t share everybody`s certainty that Marquez will be so good. Possible, but not certain. It`ll be entertaining finding out. I don`t know why I have so much doubt about him, I know he`s fast, but when someone moves up a category its never certain its going to workout. 

I know I`m on my own on this, and I`ll be proved wrong next year no doubt!

Reply to this Topic
CAL35GP1

Oct 12

CAL35GP1 says:

Cheekymonkey / Cornbowl

Totally agree with you.  Cornbowl first then with cheekymonkey's re-appraisal on Marquez.  Who in the last 20 years has ever entered the top flight and consistently challenged the top 3 in their first year ?  He's no fast Freddie.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
cornbowl

May 12

cornbowl says:

Marquez

Good points there, he's an unknown quantity in MotoGP, but there is no doubt about his commitment, he's an exciting fast rider, once he stopped crashing in Moto2, then he was the one to beat. You can fine tune and slow a fast rider down, a lot easier than you can speed a slower rider up, and if any of the newcomers, are going to be in with a chance, I think it will be Marquez, and he's got the top package. Take Zaus in WSB, once he stopped crashing and slowed down a bit, he was up there with Bayliss, but loose the works ride and you go from hero to zero. 

Reply to this Topic
PaceyCasey

Jun 11

PaceyCasey says:

tripi

Do keep up lad  the 80 second fix has been explained Umpteen times !!!    Yaaaawn!!!

------------------------------------------------------------

Just once more for the record please. Go on, please. Chump. I'll raise your yaaaaaaawn with a zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. You can't beat that can you bud ;)

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices