Skip to content

Discuss This ‘Change clocks to cut bike casualties’ General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > ‘Change clocks to cut bike casualties’

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

‘Change clocks to cut bike casualties’

Motorcycling would be safer if clocks were brought forward by an hour to make evenings lighter, according to the Institute of Advanced Motorists. The group wants a three-year trial of new daylight hours to tackle a spike in casualties each year after the clocks go back at the end of October. Last year the motorcycle casualty rate in November was...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (26 October 2012 12:03)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MudDoctor

Mar 10

MudDoctor says:

The usual nonsense

about creating extra daylight. You can't create extra daylight, only shift the times of sunrise and sunset backwards or forwards by an equal amount.

Has anyone studied the cause of the increased accident rates? Did these accidents only happen in the hours of darkness, and was the darkness itself the cause? Or was it perhaps that the roads were wet, or icy?

This proposal might make it stay light later into the afternoon, but it will stay dark later in the morning. Do we just open the schools at 10 o'clock instead?

Reply to this Topic
DrWorm

Jul 11

DrWorm says:

Erm>?

Doesn't make sense.  Surely making the evenings lighter would just mean the morning commute would be shrouded in darkness. 

Reply to this Topic
WindyMiller75

Sep 11

not this **** again

twice a year we get this rubbish.

Deal with the darkness, or change the time you do stuff, but stop droning on about the clocks.

Reply to this Topic
ccarrera42

May 10

ccarrera42 says:

Agree with DrWorm

I think the exact same as DrWorm, seems a bit stupid to me.

Reply to this Topic
draper12807

Feb 11

draper12807 says:

I'll tell you what causes these crashes, twats in cars that are scared of driving in the dark so leave their lights on high beam constantly. Even on motorways and dual carriage ways. God forbid you meet one on a bend on an unlit a road at a bend. Its not enough that they are scared which can cause a crash they also decide to blind everybody coming the other way.

Reply to this Topic
inewham

Aug 06

inewham says:

If the clocks were permanently kept on summer time to make the evening commute lighter, that would be one less hour for frost to clear in the morning resulting in more offs on icy roads.

There's no magic cure for this, riding in winter is riskier take extra care

Reply to this Topic
Robell

Aug 02

Robell says:

Have to agree with many others

Easily the most dangerous time for motorcyclists is when the roads are frosty / icy

That means mornings, not evenings. Makes you wonder on the experience of the IAM, making statements like that !

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

My only off has been on black ice in the morning

What's that, you say?  More idiocy from the IAM?  Gasps of surprise!

Reply to this Topic
domster

Sep 12

domster says:

It's children who need protecting, so do whatever helps them. As adults we should be capable of adapting our behaviour to suit.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Enough!

Why can’t we stop faffing with the bloody clocks, and keep the same time all year around?

I kind of like the omission of clocks on my Honda NHX110 and Yamaha TW200.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices