Skip to content

Discuss This ‘Change clocks to cut bike casualties’ General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > ‘Change clocks to cut bike casualties’

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

‘Change clocks to cut bike casualties’

Motorcycling would be safer if clocks were brought forward by an hour to make evenings lighter, according to the Institute of Advanced Motorists. The group wants a three-year trial of new daylight hours to tackle a spike in casualties each year after the clocks go back at the end of October. Last year the motorcycle casualty rate in November was...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (26 October 2012 12:03)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Fragpig

Oct 10

Fragpig says:

Dark doesn't kill you Ice does

Like others have said my Kryptonite is ice and i prefer an extra hour of 'possible' thaw in the mornings please. Also kids finish school at about 3:30pm before it gets dark anyway. What are the IAM thinking?

Reply to this Topic
Ridefree

Jun 08

Ridefree says:

Every year.

Every year, all the experts who presumably live on the South Coast of England, come up with this.

If they checked a map they would see that Britain also includes areas with shorter days in the winter. Perhaps they even go on holiday there during the summer. So Ok you can have lighter evenings for just a few weeks, but that means there will be darker mornings and motorcycling accidents will presumably increase in the mornings and decrease in the evenings. It's been tried before and didn't work!

Reply to this Topic
rockabillyboy

Sep 10

When in the South especially around London ,we see many bikes commuting & driving in the dark , but here in the North it"s a strange sight seeing bikes at night unless they are pizza delivery boys on mopeds . Most  2 wheelers are now toys or rich [retired] mens hobbies , only a few of us ride 24 / 7 - all year round . But it still varys from area to area , usually if the local transport system is bad . Can any rider really say it would make a difference ?messing with the clocks , but then again , did they ask any riders opinion  ? .

Reply to this Topic
stevebandito

Oct 10

stevebandito says:

get better lights

i suspect most of the casualties is because of inferior lights on bikes first thing i do when i get a naw bike is upgrade the lights 25 pounds for a set of decent bulbs sounds a lot but for that extra few meters id say it's a good buy

Reply to this Topic
stevebandito

Oct 10

stevebandito says:

get better lights

i suspect most of the casualties is because of inferior lights on bikes first thing i do when i get a naw bike is upgrade the lights 25 pounds for a set of decent bulbs sounds a lot but for that extra few meters id say it's a good buy

Reply to this Topic
taz_of_tazmania

Nov 02

Weather to blame?

October 2011 was the warmest since 2006 and the 8th warmest in 100 years (source http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/2011/october.html). In November the mean temperature was 2.9 °C above the 1971–2000 average, resulting in provisionally the second warmest November in over 100 years with only November 1994 warmer (source: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/2011/november.html) In England the the first 5 days were unsettled with bands of rain and heavy showers crossing most parts. Over 20 mm fell across much of the south-east from 0900 on 3rd to 0900 on 4th, with 56 mm at Alice Holt Lodge (Hampshire). However temperatures remained well above average, with maxima around 17 °C reported widely on 3rd. Perhaps the changeable conditions following the clock change were a contributing factor with people still riding/driving like it was summer. It's all speculation without knowing at what times the accidents occurred and in what conditions. Statistics can be manipulated to say pretty much whatever you need them to say.

Reply to this Topic
aaustin2911

May 10

aaustin2911 says:

Lights and SOund

Have VFR800 - with dual dip and high beams - upgraing the lights made a huge difference is the responses and behaviour of drivers (tin cans). Also changing the exhuast to a loud animal also made a big difference especially when peoples minds are elsewhere.

Also, combine this with a Full torso Hi-vis and I find people get out of the way --- or acknowledge you are there so that you can filter safely

You will always have the twit in the car - playing music, eating, smoking, drinking or playing with their damn mobile. Rather than maning about the bikers - how about doing the tin-can drivers ----- I constanty see people using mobiles and other gadgets - and what do the pigs do - nothing

However show the pig a motorbiker in full gear -- and hay presto - they are after you as quick as flys to the shite they are.

Reply to this Topic
cornbowl

May 12

cornbowl says:

It's been done before

there's only 24 hours in the day, so shifting from morning to night or vice-versa, is always going to upset some section of the community, you can bet on that.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices