Skip to content

Ask an Expert Heated gloves? Clothing

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Clothing > Heated gloves?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Kozak

Oct 07

Kozak says:

Heated gloves?

Started to get cold again. On my daily ride have a set of Oxford heated grips with 2 heat settings and also a pair of Oxford 'muffs' - don't like the look of muffs but v good at keeping the wind and rain off. Sometimes when very cold my finger-tips feel the cold, even when palm and rest of fingers stay warm gripping the grips. 

http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee325/Odunkozak/GPz550/Novemberfrost.jpg
Usual commute is 20 mins, then middle of day often go on short trips - was thinking trying heated gloves, (heard of Gebring, exo,Keis,Oxford) - any particular ones better than the others any info from anyone using them? Partly don't want the hassle of having to connect/disconnect the leads form the bike especially short trips.

Other alternative is getting a pair of thicker gloves, like the lobster claw ones from HG that combine 2 fingers together?

Cannot make me mind up so thought I'd ask what others do.

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (26 October 2012 20:04)

Post a message in Clothing

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

I've only just stopped wearing summer

gloves for a 20min commute. Do you have raynauds?

The Muffs should be very good at stopping air getting in. If there are gaps that are letting the cold in get the duct tape out and seal it all up.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

gloves

I used thick wool mitts with waterproof overmitts back in the 70`s, that`s all fingers together.

Reply to this Topic
Valko

May 12

Valko says:

winter gloves

have you tried a pair of good winter gloves? I've got 2 hours commuting and I am completely happy with the gloves only.

If you add handgurds for the wind you do not need muffs or heating unless you are planning Siberia trips :wink:

Just make sure you get breathable Gore-tex keeping your hands dry means warm.

The most important issue for winter gloves is dexterity. Your digits should always be left to move freely without binding and reducing circulation. If the mitts are too snug, get the next size up. Look into options with a thinly insulated palm, which will maximize throttle and lever feel.

Finally, check the construction -- if the gloves have multiple layers, they can slip and bind if not assembled correctly, which is not only uncomfortable but also potentially dangerous. Liners or inserts should be firmly anchored so they won't shift, bunch or pull out.

For example Alpinestars APEX - fine gloves but liners can move after time.

Read more: http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/accessoriesandgear/cold_weather_glove_comparison/viewall.html#ixzz2AgKkCopW

Reply to this Topic
Kozak

Oct 07

Kozak says:

winter glvoes

Thanks for replies - Valko - I have a pair of Alpinestar Jet gloves for winter but last year somehow lost one, since then used other hand jsut a cheap glove that I got from a bike show. Was thinking about one of those Hein-Gericke lobster claw style winter gloves see if that gives more insulation perhaps - will read the link that you posted when get more time later, thanks.

Reply to this Topic
Rotop

Sep 12

Rotop says:

Gloves

I have keis heated gloves and they're brilliant.

just did 150 miles twice this weekend in them and they kept my hands toasty the whole way. I usually don't have to turn them up past medium.

There is only 1 Velcro strap to secure them though, so I use legwarmers over the top of the join between the jacket and the gloves to keep my wrists from getting chilly.

Reply to this Topic
cob427uk

Nov 10

cob427uk says:

Gerbing heated gloves

I have used Gerbing heated gloves for three years and they are brilliant. Just fitted the junior temp controller so that I can turn down the heat as if you have just the on/off switch your hands cook through town.

The new version of the gloves you can run from battery packs in the back of the gloves - not tried this but if you want to go for the cable less option.

Cable to the battery comes up the front of the seat and then click this into the fixed wiring loom which is fitted into my jacket with safety pins and cable ties.

Couple of weeks ago tried them on and the left hand glove failed to heat. Sent them back to Gerbing as they have a lifetime warranty on the heating element and within 5 days had a new pair of gloves. Not cheap but great gloves, great service and warranty and you cannot ask for more than that  - Got mine from Powered Adventure and can recommend them as a supplier:smile

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Kozak

Oct 07

Kozak says:

heated gloves advice

Thanks - the Keis look the cheapest option with glove insert at £50. I've heard of the Gerbing before nad they seem the most established maker of such things. Local place only has the Exo ones and did not have any in to try. Think will wait till later this month and go to the NEC bike show, hopefully be some stands that I could try on and see which would be best.

Reply to this Topic
cob427uk

Nov 10

cob427uk says:

Heated Gloves

Good idea and its advisable to try them on as sizes do vary - I bought my Gerbings off the net and they were fine but thats more by luck!. The gloves themselves are not too thick and are fleece lined and so comfy and  often use them during the summer (well what we call a summer!) and they are no too hot. On really hot days (when we have one) then do use a summer glove.

Happy hunting at the NEC and hope you get yourself sorted .:smile

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices