Skip to content

Ask an Expert High idle speed on honda xr125 Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > High idle speed on honda xr125

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Fizzeetoast

Jul 12

Fizzeetoast says:

High idle speed on honda xr125

I recently bought a xr and after having a tiny bit of trouble getting the bike to tick over as it was freezing outside and the bike hasn't been in regular use for a while but eventually after getting around that problem the bike started ticking over very fast almost sounding as if it the throttle was open and also when given more throttle it sounded slightly strained, would this be sorted out by just lowering the idle speed or would it be a problem with the throttle not closing properly?

Thanks for the help.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (28 October 2012 12:58)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

gear lever

Yep, you've got it. A piece of cake to adjust. Take the pinch bolt out, adjust the position of the lever, refit and tighten the pinch bolt... DON'T GO MAD, IT'S ONLY SMALL  :lol:  Usually, for cold start, give it some choke, and NO throttle, when it fires up, adjust the idle speed on the choke lever. Back off the choke as soon as you can. 

Reply to this Topic
ricklincs45

Aug 05

ricklincs45 says:

Choke and gear lever.

Dabbsy's right about the choke, each bike is individual.  Having said that, I've had dozens of CB125/CB100N/SL125's which are all basically variations of the same engine/carb set-up.

If everything is working as it should, and the bike properly serviced, my start-up routine would be; ignition off - gently kick bike over (not literally) a couple of times to get the oil pump forcing some oil up to the top end of engine (this is where most wear occurs on these engines - especially from cold).  Ignition on, fuel on, choke fully on.  Bike should start first kick.  Let her run for a few seconds on choke, you'll feel and hear her starting to 'fluff' for want of a better description.  At this point ease her onto half choke.  Keep the revs as low as possible, but without labouring the engine - I always tried to keep mine around 1400rpm.  Cold engine + lots of revs = knackered top-end.

Engine should be at point now where you can ride her; run her through the gears and you should find that by the time you're in third, you can knock choke fully off.  Let the engine build some warmth before thrashing it.  The kindest thing you can do for these engines is give them regular oil changes.

Your absolutely right about the gear lever.  Probably held in place by a 6mm threaded bolt which has a 10mm spanner size head.  Undo bolt and fully take out then gently pull gear lever off.  The lever and shaft have splines - just rotate the lever round to where it's comfortable for you, then insert bolt and re-tighten.

Hope that helps,  Rick.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices