Skip to content

General '40mph in a 60' numpties. General

You are in... Forums > General > General > '40mph in a 60' numpties.

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

'40mph in a 60' numpties.

When is someone going to crack down on the '40mph in a 60' numpties? I think they've been persuaded that they're the safest drivers by the "Speed Kills" lobby but that's nonsense. Their incompetence causes congestion, it frustrates other drivers and encourages desperate overtakes. Of those I've seen lately most still couldn't turn the wheel fast enough to avoid dangerously straddling the centre line, many dab the brakes every time they see an oncoming car, one had no reaction at all when I could see the pheasant a mile off, poor thing, and hills didn't elicit a response so the chain of 30-odd cars behind bunched up even more as the speed reduced further. Then when we drive through built-up areas the familiarity of pavements, schools and driveways seems to reassure them and they keep going when you'd expect them to slow.

I'm all for obeying 30mph limits and I see nothing wrong with 100mph plus on a quiet dual carriageway but something should be done about these dozy drivers. Deputise riders to administer justice, perhaps! What do you think? Any more examples?

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (28 October 2012 19:28)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

These are

the kind of people who need to be pulled and their ability to drive assessed. Most of them will have notifiable conditions which they haven't told the DVLA or their insurance company about which is of course an issue for having valid insurance.

EDIT: I also think it's £1000 for every condition you don't tell the DVLA about. Of course if the insurance isn't informed then the cops can have your car off you then and there.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Steveyman

Jan 08

Steveyman says:

Now I Agree

Slightly different to someone going slower than the speed limit, but yes I agree with you here.

I wouldn't be suprised if there are many drivers that do not inform the DVLA that they have some disability that would prevent them having a driving licence, most possibly failing the eye sight test.

It is a shame for those to be told sorry you are not fit enough to drive. My uncle is one of those, he only has one eye and his one good eye is now below the limit. He was gutted at first but had to accept it, my auntie now does all the driving.

But yes I agree there are many drivers taking the risk carrying on until they get caught. But then again its the same with drivers using mobile phones when driving, I have seen driving instructors doing it.

Taking risks and hoping not to get caught seems to be the norm.

And I suppose in most cases when someone does get pulled its because they were doing 33 in a 30 limit?

Reply to this Topic
Homer40

Nov 10

Homer40 says:

Totally agree......

......sorry but on my way to work every morning i pass through a section of road about 3 miles long, it used to be 60mph but was cut to 40mph when the dogooders came to power. People now drive that section at 30mph or less sometimes. Its either they hate their jobs that much that they are dragging the journey out or they can't drive. I even see people braking when another vehicle is coming the other way......WTF is that about? When you do get a chance to overtake (not many places but one or two) the cheeky bastards flash you when you pull back in. Sorry but i like my job and don't mind getting there, i don't want to travel to work at the back of a three mile Q cos some twat wants to do 20mph.

Reply to this Topic
Richnotrich

Apr 11

Richnotrich says:

The 40 in a 60'ers

are often sat at what they consider to be their "Safe speed". The trouble with many that I've seen, is that their "Safe speed" of 40 mph also applies to them when they reach a 30 limit. Time and time again I've passed people doing 40 in a 60, only to have them tailgate me when I slow down to 30 for a 30 limit.

These ones are a menace and get right up my nose.:mad:

Reply to this Topic
smoto5

Mar 09

smoto5 says:

Yeah, drives me spare too

:mad: the amount of poor driving I see every day makes me despair :upset: trouble is many will view themselves as good drivers purely on the basis of getting there, however wobbly they were, and saving fuel, any effect on anybody is irrelevant to them. I have people hold me up in corners, then belt off down the straight bits, or driving up the back of me in the 30 to try speed me up and then passing and driving well below the national limit out of the built up areas. There's plenty of narrow roads with passing places round here too, and they'll blithely sail past the pull ins in the assumption the other person will stop for them, be unable to reverse their cars and insist on squeezing past in the worst places. 

But at the end of the day, it's far better to wait a bit behind these plonkers until a safe opportunity arises rather than risk an overtake with tight margins for error, if one thing goes wrong, you can probably cope ok, if two problems occur it does come down to luck, any more than that and well, I don't need elaborate......:upset: Be safe folks :smile

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Speed Limits

Originally we're calculated to the 80th percentile, i.e. when monitored it was the speed 80% of road users were travelling at. These days there's a lot more people on the road ergo a lot more travelling below the posted speed limit, officially all those articulated lorries you see on single carriageway, national speed limit roads shouldn't be going faster than 40mph! Whomever thought that a good idea should Never have been given a job with traffic management! My view is that if you don't feel capable to travel at the posted speed limit you shouldn't really be driving. Whilst it is true the limit isn't a target to be met regardless it is a point you should be aiming for where conditions allow, if you don't feel capable of driving at this level it would indicate there are areas of skill that are not up to an acceptable standard ergo you become a hazard to others. The argument put up that you don't have to take retraining for computer/mobile phone so can legitimately tell someone to "go away" is a complete misnomer, your mobile isn't likely to run you over & kill you! It's a common mistake to think a driving licence is a "right" it isn't, it's a privilege, it's why you have to take a (far too easy) test.

Ask most people how good they're driving is & the answer is more often as not "Better than average" trust me when I say the average standard of driving is pretty appalling, to be fair it's better here than elsewhere.
Doubt we'll get everyone agreeing on this topic, too many points to respond to & I for one am far too slow a typist! :lol:
Happy Riding out there:smile 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
yamtcat

Jul 05

yamtcat says:

vice versa

I would reverse the original comment...I find it worrying the amount of 60 in a 40 drivers I notice.

I see a lot of people speeding in built up areas and maintain this speed onto 70mph stretch as they seem to feel comfortable at a steady speed, abeit legally too fast for built up area and what many would consider too slow for motorway albeit not illegal.

My bro stays out in the states and they have a min and max speed on the freeway which i think is great. Its 10 mph below the max.

I think if you start to expect the 'old biddies' to make progress on the A Roads you'd need to look at frequent re-testing to ensure safe doing so and truthfully, how many of us would want that? Id rather just overtake when safe!

Reply to this Topic
yamtcat

Jul 05

yamtcat says:

more importantly

I'm just happy to be riding again now finances permit it so try to just enjoy being on the bike and not let these folk annoy you...you'll miss it more if you cant!

Reply to this Topic
obewan

Mar 03

obewan says:

james you arse

I read this post this morning, and then had to pop out to town. On the way there I was stuck behind a 40 MPH merchant. 40 in a 60, a 50 and a 30 zone.

On the way back sat behind three cars, the first of which was virtually embedded on the back of a tractor. So not a freaking hope of overtaking the damn lot in a Landrover.

I blame you for this state of affairs:biggrin::biggrin::blink::blink:

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Obewan, my power is awesome! But hold on, if you’re in a Land Rover surely you must be the one at the front of the irritable convoy.

:biggrin:

I’m enjoying the discussions. I should say that I have infinite patience for learners and a considerable amount for doddery old dears, bless ‘em. I believe many of the other dawdlers feel unsafe and don’t enjoying driving. With the constant thump-thump-thump of cats-eyes, the target fixation for oncoming vehicles, the intimidation from behind, the cerebral overload as the world rushes by, every journey must be racked with anxiety.

Another example, I followed someone yesterday down the otherwise deserted, unlit, twisty country road home and he/she seemed to have forgotten that headlights have a full beam mode, so we trundled along in fear at half-speed again.

I think they’d all be happier given some patient advice but there is no government or other campaign to bring these drivers up to scratch and no camera or other means to catch them. Still, they may be better than those who just have absolutely no awareness at all, fast or slow.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices