Skip to content

Ask an Expert Hi viz in France? Touring & travel

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Touring & travel > Hi viz in France?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

trumpet675

Mar 09

trumpet675 says:

Hi viz in France?

Hiya all ,just wondered if it's all  true that we have to wear the hi viz shite when visiting France ,surely not I thought the old frenchies would have none of it but I'm hearing that might not be the case ,anyone know for certain as was planning ride through France and down to Malaga next may .really annoying if that's the case surely if they've not seen the headlight theres no hope anyway .A real shame as some lovely roads over the pond there .

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (28 October 2012 22:31)

Post a message in Touring & travel

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

Hi viz

Google says yes from next year,I wear hi viz when walking narrow country roads (a bit deaf) and when riding  the electric bicycle.

Be seen with all these BLIND motorists because there`s only one loser :ph43r:

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

France high viz

Where have you been?? It's been ALL over the bike press.

Anyway, you only need to wear a small patch of REFLECTIVE* material on your person. I can't remember the exact dimensions, but a reflective arm band should be enough. If you wear textile bike kit, then that usually has LOADS of reflective piping on it.

You also need 3 reflective* sticker on your helmet.
*NOT high viz, but reflective.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Hi-viz

Save yourself the tedium and expense of riding down through France and catch the Postrsmouth to Bilbao or Santander ferry.  It's no more expensive once you take fuel, hotel and tolls into account and you ride off the ship into nice weather and stunning roads.   

Reply to this Topic
dd1965uk

Mar 09

dd1965uk says:

Ferry instead

Would recommend the ferry myself. Although they cancelled our return crossing giving 8 hours notice. Had to ride 700 miles through France to get the Caen ferry instead. Cost a fortune in toll roads!

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Cancelled Ferry

I had a ferry canceled on me once.   Was due to sail from Portsmouth to Bilbao on P&O but the ship had technical problems so P&O booked all those travelling on bikes on the next days sailing out of Plymouth on Brittany Ferries.  (Anyone in a car was screwed!)  As well as sorting the booking they gave us £50 for petrol to get us from Portsmouth to Plymouth, £65 to pay for a B&B and £100 compensation.  Nice chaps :smile  

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
trumpet675

Mar 09

trumpet675 says:

Ferry or ride down?

Did look at the ferry option you mentioned but seemed a lot of dough once you included the cabin prices all added up too rather a lot !anyhow like you say once you factor in the fuel saved and wear and tear etc,it prob works out similar anyway:smilethanks all that bothered to reply to my post all much appreciated as always ,anyone got any tips on cheap ferry lines to Spain then ! 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices