Skip to content

Discuss This Motorcyclist caught speeding at 152mph General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Motorcyclist caught speeding at 152mph

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Motorcyclist caught speeding at 152mph

A motorcyclist caught speeding at 152mph has been found guilty of dangerous driving. Stephen Tull, 37, admitted more than doubling the 70mph speed limit on the A27 in Binsted, Sussex, on October 16 last year. He also admitted riding with no MoT. Tull, from Liphook, Hampshire, was banned from driving for 12 months by magistrates in Worthing today. He was ordered to pay £620 costs...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (29 October 2012 14:40)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
winger

Aug 02

winger says:

620 quid costs cheap at half the price, get caught in Switzerland!!!!!!!,I've a mate who was done 1000Euro and night in the nick for doing a third less than that on the motorway.

Reply to this Topic
brevav2

Feb 09

brevav2 says:

Usual Overeaction

As always the law has to make an example of a biker,  If it was a police officer 'Testing' an unmarked car at the same speed, would the result have been the same? like hell it would,

The outcome should be based on the following,

Has he killed anyone....NO

Has he injured anyone...NO

Instead of taking a measured view, the outcome is based on prejustice and hysteria and the prevailing 'Nanny State' mentality.

Reply to this Topic
domster

Sep 12

domster says:

Speed

Just glad i got that sort of behaviour out of my system 30 years ago. Speed is massively overrated, cycling at 30mph can be just as exhilerating, just as car driving is relatively boring at any speed.

Reply to this Topic
zx7rdelboy

Aug 02

zx7rdelboy says:

Video!

I may be being a bit thick here but if you watch the video, firstly the camera just merely glimpses the motorcyclist and registers 139mph then they lock onto the road and never get the back of the bike again and it registers 152mph!!! WTF....and if you watch the bike going past the traffic on the left then it doesn't appear to be going at OVER twice the 70mph limit...still considering they've locked bikers up for less methinks he got off lightly.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Better Off

He should have killed a pedestrian or pedal cyclist while texting and “driving” a Range Rover – would have gotten off with a smaller fine and shorter suspension (if any).

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

Jail

He got the soft option.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone caught exceeding 100 mph should get an automatic six month jail term and ten year ban.

Reply to this Topic
ruxxy

Oct 09

ruxxy says:

Hmm

I agree with some comments here and disagree with some others. One point though is he was passing other traffic, and in my opinion, a bit daft considering the closing speed would be 82mph should any other road user decide to change lane. Just a point.

Reply to this Topic
Oldmanwetmix

Apr 11

Oldmanwetmix says:

Dodgy

There is no way the bike in the video is travelling at 150mph. For a start the article says it was a 70mph limit, which the stretch of road in the video definitely isn't. Something doesn't add up. Could it be lazy journalism, just stick any old bit of video up, don't bother to check it. I can't understand why he hasn't appealed unless it was to get off the other charges.

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

Unscientific

It has always concerned me that these hand-held radar devices were never tested on a motorcycle when they originally gained Home Office approval. The simple reason being that they are not reliable enough on something as small as a motorcycle and wouldn't have passed a fair test under scrutiny. They need a reflection from a flat surface, the only suitable place on a bike is the rear number plate.

The video shows that the gun was never actually on the number plate of the bike (which it must be) to obtain that definitive reading and the amount of slippage caused by the operator waving it about ought to make any result invalid. The amount of movement shown on the video clip would make a brick wall appear to be speeding. 

The rider may well have been over the limit but there is no scientific proof of his actual speed. It's not good enough that the police or magistrate "thinks" he was speeding, they need proof. We really need a test case to sort this out.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Luddy

Nov 07

Luddy says:

Oldmanwetmix.   The stretch of road is a duel carriageway section of the A27 between Fontwell and Arundel and has a 70mph limit.

tris123. This section of road does have some hidden junctions, ie on the brow of the rises and mid curve at the same time. I have personally wittnesed the aftermath of an horrendous smash between two cars caused by not having a long view down the carriageway by the driver turning across it. I always back off a bit going through here.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices