Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

vect

Oct 12

vect says:

Commuter/First bike

Hello guys,

After browsing through previous posts about first bikes I wanted to ask for suggestions that are a bit more suited to my situation.

I'm 24, and after Umming and Arring for years about bikes I figured I'd give it a serious look and had a bash with the Get On scheme (brilliant idea btw) and now I'm even more keen to get riding.

I'm going to book a CBT, then a half day 125 hire or two, then have a crack at the DAS. 

My commute is 20 miles and 45 mins by car, round the Leicester ring road and up the A46 dual carriage way, then down a few twisty A roads and through villages. I'll probably be out and up to no good on the weekends as well. 

So I need a bike that can easily do dual carriage way speed and put a smile on my face on the weekend, but as I'm young and haven't had car insurance in my own name (Car licence for 6 years), the insurance is one of my main factors in selecting a bike.

I started out (foolishly) thinking a CBR600rr would be a good choice, cheapest quote was £10,000/year. 

So I had a look at some less powerful bikes. Insurance group 9 seems to be ok, offering £500-800/year but you can't select a bike on insurance groups/horsepower alone, what do you guys think?

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (29 October 2012 15:18)

Post a message in New rider

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

First bike

Fazer 600, Bandit600, SV650 or the ER6.  All good bikes.  My mate purchased an ER6 after coming to bike late in life and he loves it.  I have ridden it too and its a lot of fun!   

Not sure how it works out insurance-wise for you but the VFR800 has to be recommended. I have a pre-Vtec 800fi which has been a brilliant bike.  Taken me all over Spain on a few occasions - I'll miss mine when its gone :upset:   

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
jon66

Feb 09

jon66 says:

ER6F

i bought one 6 months ago and its a great wee bike , easy to ride  fast enough and pleasing on the eye , also pretty good on fuel , best bet for you is get through your test and get some test rides get a bike that suits you .

good luck

Reply to this Topic
vect

Oct 12

vect says:

Update

Here's an update:

I did my CBT and had a few lessons on an old CB500 before Xmas. I'm loving it, but a few things have cropped and gobbled up my learning to ride money.

In the mean-time, I've had a few thoughts and would like some feedback from people with more experience.

I'm moving to a more urban spot. So I'll be using whatever bike I get to get through town. On the weekends I'll be visiting friends, most of which live in Surrey (2 1/2 hours/130 miles by car, on a good day). So for a long trip down the motorway, what should I be looking at in terms of 2/4 cylinders, fairings, screens?

I love the look of naked bikes, but doing 70+ on the motorway without a screen for 2 hours sounds pretty horrible. But I could be wrong. Also, I'm 6'0 tall, and I was really stuggling with the CB500 as my leg was too folded up, what sort of seat height should I be aiming for here? thoughts?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
domster

Sep 12

domster says:

First bike

You're not wrong, if you want comfort comparable to a car you need a full fairing with a screen level with your nose. You could accessorise a conventional naked bike, which one you must choose yourself. Look at the specs & insurance groups under bike reviews on this & other websites & visit dealers for fitting/ergonomics. If you want versatility look at the Yamaha T Max.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices