Skip to content

Ask an Expert The best way to run a bike in? Discuss Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > The best way to run a bike in? Discuss

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Dabbsy

Aug 02

Dabbsy says:

The best way to run a bike in? Discuss

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (30 October 2012 14:42)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

Run-in

I`ve had a few brandnew bikes and found that the best way is to vary the engine revs up to halfway to the red line (that`s 5,000rpm with red line at 10,000rpm) for 250 miles then up to 7,500 rpm for the next 250miles then whatever without touching the red line.

Never run in an engine at constant speed so keep off the motorways.Keep blipping that throttle as i have found and you`ll notice a better response and better engine breaking when shutting off. :smile

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

This has

been on before.

I personally tend to follow manufacturers guidelines - they'll be more clued up than a back street mechanic or "someone down the pub".

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Breaking in.

Yep, discussed here.

Interesting but still no real evidence provided, just too many words.

Why does it keep saying, "Why would the manufacturer recommend (blah),... this is a good question..." without giving the answer?

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

James600zx

Too many words and no answers.

The answer is that if you disregard the manufactures running in schedule you will end up by polishing the cylinder bore and the piston rings will suffer premature wear.

The purpose of the break-in is to 'lap' the cylinder wall and the piston rings together to form a working seal.

Rapid wear of these components result in the loss of performance.

Hope that answers your questions.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Smidget.

They were rhetorical questions but yes, I'll go with the manufacturer's advice if I ever have a brand new vehicle that isn't a bicycle <sniff!>. I need proof! Evidence! Surely if you have access to loads of bikes and a dyno you'd have all that. Like you, I am unconvinced by the link.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

This old chestnut..

..what are you running a bike in for?

Longevity, reliability, reasonable oil consumption? Mineral oil, mixed revs, not too much throttle, gradually built up as per manufacturer's instructions, then semi or fully synth as required.  Some honing should be left on bores etc, which helps lubrication but can allow some blow by.  I believe there's plenty of evidence it works well, even if it doesn't look quite as shiny and clean...

Maximum power in minimum time?  Follow mototune for polished bores and no blow by, then run on top notch race oil for a season (or until siezes?).  I believe there's plenty of evidence it works well for race engines.  WRC engines are bedded in a similar manner, but not expected to last a decade or more...

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Breaking her in ;)

Done this several times, but let's get back to the bikes for the moment:

I've found that gradually increasing the revs and load, with plenty of changes in gear, have seen my engines feel a lot more smooth that those I haven't broken in myself.

Personal preference is to give about twice the manufacturers' time/mileage... wouldn't think of really looking for the maximum until maybe 10,000 miles,  so why cane it before it's even done 1000?

[Ed note:  originally stated 10K revs above, instead of 10K miles.]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices