Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: Should I go naked? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: Should I go naked?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: Should I go naked?

I've been riding faired sportsbikes for thirteen years, but I'm actually getting a bit frustrated by how good they are, and how you can't use them properly on the road (I don't do trackdays)… I'm considering something like a Tuono, SuperDuke, or Streetfighter, but I don't know if I'll miss the fairing. Should I just go for it? Your answer could...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (30 October 2012 15:08)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
DamianJ

Feb 09

DamianJ says:

Should you?

My first bike was a Bandit 1200 for two years and loved it. I thought though that it was time to graduate to something a little sharper and better handling so got the SP1. Loved it and rode for hundreds of miles at a time. I then thought I'd get something faster and newer.. I got a ZX10r 06. That was fantastic too.. Due to financial reasons however, I had to downgrade and went back to a bandit and I can honestly say it just wasn't the same. I was so used to the racing position of the SP1 and ZX10r that I didn't feel quite right on the ol' bandit. I just missed the sports riding position and the wind protection that I got from the faired bikes. Bear in mind i'm an all weather rider and commute in crowded london. As for complaints about sports riding positions?.. I'm 22 so I have yet to look forward to back and wrist problems!

Reply to this Topic
domtrails

Jun 12

domtrails says:

One of each !!

Well the best way to solve your dillema is to have one of each - why not instead of going out and spending a whole lot on a Tuono, SuperDuke, or Streetfighter go out and buy a Fazer or an old Monster, spend a couple of grand only and keep the Faired bike for those summer days when all is perfect for a supersports bike and use and abuse the old dog for all the other days.....Only one problem with this idea as I have found out myself and that is well one sports (ZXR 750 j2) a naked (2002 Fazer 600 modified) always beg for a third to complete the set, and to complete it has to be a motorcross so I am half way through converting an old Honda SLR into a street tracker/scrambler but when its finished I am going to have my dream garage, well for the moment anyhow.

Reply to this Topic
beegrich

Dec 08

beegrich says:

Go for it

I'm just considering the same approach and adding a naked to the stable to keep my K1300S company. I use the K mainly for touring now and will be adding a fun naked early in the New Year I've tried a number of nakeds, the Streetfighter is up there as one of my top Three at the moment but no final decision has been made. The GSR is a great bike but I did get bored with it on a extended ride. I want a naked just for having some fun on and the odd short commute so ask the question as to what you want to use it mainly for? The Tuono is bonkers mad so depending on what you want the naked for then my advice would be try plenty and choose wisely! There is also the bike show to have a good mooch around and see what instantly clicks and fit for you

Reply to this Topic
sprintst955

Jun 09

sprintst955 says:

maybe

When my old 955 sprint was written off and i got pretty smashed up i decided to go for a speed triple ,mainly because i wanted the windblast to act as a top speed governer,the bike was awesome fun superb through the twisties especially with a nitron rear shock,trouble is i started doing 300+ mile days and it was agony,plank hard seat,high footrests,massive windblast.so sadly after 10,000 miles and 18 months it had to go.got myself a 1050 sprint st,love it,would get a speed triple as well if funds allowed though....

Reply to this Topic
andybow1

Oct 11

andybow1 says:

I did!

I have recently just sold my blade and got a new speed triple! Love it! Really does keep you in check on longer straights! I actually feel more comfortable in the corners, especially on slower , tighter b roads.I definetly felt like I wanted a fairing when we came back from assen this year as 750 miles does you in with no wind protection.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Simple

Test ride them all, see what you think.

I demoed the V4 Tuono this year, what

a crack, madder than a box or weasels,

just couldn't stop smiling, keeps your

top speed a tad more honest too.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

yes . Buy an RD350LC Experience the naked thing.

Reply to this Topic
bird1050

Nov 07

bird1050 says:

naked every time

you can have more fun on a naked as you realy feel closer to the action.

if you set a naked up properly they are great. and you can ride to the max.

i loved all my speed triples 955i and two 1050's they where an absolute hoot.

i now have a 1050 tiger as my neck is buggered .

But realy miss my naked bikes

Reply to this Topic
bandeet2

Apr 09

bandeet2 says:

Expose yourself!

Expose yourself...go on you know you want to...the link below is my old KTM450EXC  on a nude beach in Scotland...yes you did read that correctly. I had it as a toy alongside my ZX6 both gone now. Fret not though as I was so impressed with the quality & simplicity of the KTM that I went out & bought a 950sm to replace them. What can I say that hasn't already been said? I am 54 & have owned bikes since I was 16 including several hooligan's but this bike just sticks a grin on my face every time. Doesn't matter if it's a run to the shop or a longer Sunday run...massive grin every time...very addictive...go on you know you want to...Expose yourself & liberate yourself to the elements! www.facebook.com/media/set/

Reply to this Topic
zx7rdelboy

Aug 02

zx7rdelboy says:

yeah baby!

Of course you should go naked...every chance you get.....ohhh you mean bikes....I'll get me coat

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices