Skip to content

Ask an Expert Want to take the full test, can't afford to fail New rider

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > New rider > Want to take the full test, can't afford to fail

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

gimliricky

Oct 12

gimliricky says:

Want to take the full test, can't afford to fail

I've only been riding a few months, since March, and I'm already beginning to feel the need for a larger bike - riding 250 miles each way to see my family at the weekend on a 125 that tops out at 55 gets old quick!

However, I don't think I would pass the proper test the first time around. Having spoken to a few of the guys around where I live,  it seems any failure means having to pay the full £700 fee to retake the test. As it is, it takes me about 3 months to save 700, so I can't really afford to retake if/when I fail.

I guess all I really wanted to know is, is this standard practice across the country, or are the schools around here just fleecing people (most of whom can afford it, it's a very affluent area, I'm just an odd below the poverty line type who happened to get stuck here)?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (31 October 2012 01:16)

Post a message in New rider

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

test

Why not contact one of the local training schools and ask them???

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Test

Believe that you will fail and it is likely that you will.  How about showing a bit of confidence? 

Reply to this Topic
zanderh

Aug 12

zanderh says:

£700?! DSA charges £15.50 for Mod1, and £75- for Mod2; why would it cost you £700..?

Reply to this Topic
jon66

Feb 09

jon66 says:

expensive resit

i had to resit my mod2  cost = 1hr lesson and test fee and hire of bike ,so maybe around 100-m 125 for re sit

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

That

is most certainly not standard practice.

I assume £700 is a payment for a set amount of lessons in a set amount of time and then both tests. Don't bother. Either you've misunderstood or they're seriously screwing people and need their trading practices investigating. If people don't know any better they'll do it. I saw someone get charged £70 for a tax disc whilst buying a 125cc bike before. All he knew was his car was over £100 and this was cheaper.

If you want to get it done first time and you're riding a lot then do it lesson by lesson and practice what you're taught in between lessons. It will be a pain in the arse but get it right and you'll pass.

Get the theory test sorted.

If you fail, you generally have another lesson or two and then retake the test, depending on how / how badly you failed. You have to wait a week or 10 days or so before resitting. So yes, whilst it's an expensive do, it's not so bad.

And all credit due to you for doing that kind of mileage on a 125cc. Not many people would be that crazy / have those kind of balls.

EDIT: training schools will charge more for tests booked through them. What they do is book test slots so they can offer them to their students so if you're peaking you can get a test booked the next day. That's standard practice. If you do fail and they say that it'll be silly money then just say you'll book it yourself (give an excuse of uncertain schedule if necessary) and you can sort it very easily over the internet.

Most places will charge lesson by lesson as well as any packages. The difference with a package is you pay a lot of money up front (even if not the full amount, still a lot) and you're stuck even if you don't like the instructor / they're crap.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices