You are in... Forums > General > General > BAD mud on roads

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Twentytoo

Jul 09

Twentytoo says:

BAD mud on roads

Now I know I live pretty much in the country and the farmers have had a difficult time this year but the mud by me is getting out of control. I've just rode my cycle down a half mile section of national speed limit road that was hard to tell the field from the tarmac. A sign warning motorcyclists had been put up but as it was starting to rain my view was that it is dangerous for motorists and lethal for bikers. I called 101 and reported it to the police and suggested they close it before someone is hurt or killed. They said they would send someone out to check it out but it shouldn't come to this......Is this bad enough country wide for MCN to start a campaign to get us all reporting it?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (31 October 2012 14:31)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
beaconsman

Sep 09

beaconsman says:

mud

same here, I was lucky enough to have background in trials/trail riding before i took it up on the road, bandit was sideways the other day as I hit mud. not nice.but, ultimately, i pay my road tax, I didnt dump it in the road so why arent farmers forced to clean it up..if the culprit is found surely you could claim...

Reply to this Topic
Twentytoo

Jul 09

Twentytoo says:

it appears to be the law

Just reading up on it. It appears under the highways act they must use approved signs and then have it cleaned up.....even if this means a contractor must be paid. I'm not sure the police were aware of the law on the call I had with them. I'm not really sure how serious they took me. I'll check it out tommorrow 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
babyrocket

Aug 11

babyrocket says:

last year i

found a triumph bonneville wedged in a barbed wire fence over at blackburn no sign of rider ! then i heard the moans, he had gone a good fifty foot in the air through a barbed wire fence on mud i had trouble keeping traction on in a car, it catching these bastrds that is the trouble they do it then vamoose into the distance.fucker can and do kill people to save a few quid.

Reply to this Topic
lucas_yamaha

Jul 08

lucas_yamaha says:

yea

its everywhere at minute i went out sunday  just gone and theere was mud everywhere and leaves also

Reply to this Topic
Blader2005

Dec 08

Blader2005 says:

mud on the road..

it can be a hazard....

Attached images:

1. Mud  
  2. Mud  
Reply to this Topic
Beelady

Jan 10

Beelady says:

Worst autumn so far.

I have taken the long way round to work for over a month now, just to avoid the worst of the mud.

My family farm. We also ride bikes and take a lot of care about taking our machinery on the road. We all know how dangerous mud can be.

Shame all my farming neighbours don't share the same point of view. The law does say it must be kept clean but nothing ever gets done unless we complain. Mr B and I are the only ones who ride on some of the back lanes. We can't leave home unless we do, Our neighbours are nice friendly people but I don't think they really understand how it feels on a bike, however we try to explain the problem.

It's one of the drawbacks of living in the sticks and we are used to it but it's still scary when you're faced with a mile or so of slippery stuff twice a day.

Reply to this Topic
Steveyman

Jan 08

Steveyman says:

Mud

I got caught out on the way home from work in the dark. I knew a section of road where there was mud and was expecting it, but prior to that I approched a sharp right hand bend and right on the exit there was muddy track coming out of a field. No warning sign, Because my headlights were aiming straight ahead into the hedge I couldn't see the mud at all.:shock:

I lost the front end slightly but saved it.

Kind of put me off riding through the lanes in the dark.

Reply to this Topic
Twentytoo

Jul 09

Twentytoo says:

Mud

I've still had no call back from the police....I'll be going out in a while and I'll go that way for a look

Reply to this Topic
bazablue

Mar 10

bazablue says:

mud

the main problem was when a high court judge made a stated case on this that cleared farmers from blame,,however this has now been reversed and the farmer IS liable and report it to the LAuth and if they dont do summat about it then they themselves are liable and them checking it in a car is not good enough!!! So if you see a biker or cyclist having this problem then stop and support them in the complaint,,even court proceedings..

Reply to this Topic
Twentytoo

Jul 09

Twentytoo says:

Nothing done

just rose my cycle through offending road and its now a mud bath.......so we have:

A group of individuals who don't care and don't abide by the law and

A Police Force that don't care and don't enforce the law.....

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices