Skip to content

Discuss This Viewers wrongly told ‘running off on bends’ is most common bike crash as BBC muddles data General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Viewers wrongly told ‘running off on bends’ is most common bike crash as BBC muddles data

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Viewers wrongly told ‘running off on bends’ is most common bike crash as BBC muddles data

A BBC road safety documentary wrongly claimed ‘running off on bends’ was the most common motorcycle accident, based on an apparent misunderstanding of data. BBC2’s How Safe Are Britain’s Roads? claimed: ‘Two-thirds of motorcycle deaths happen on rural roads. Running off on bends is the most common type of accident.’ Questioned about the claim, a BBC publicist pointed to the number...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (02 November 2012 14:23)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

So what?

The general point was spot on which is that PTW users are the highest risk of death or injury and that their behaviour on the road is a major contributory factor.

Reply to this Topic
snapple

Apr 11

snapple says:

Not Wrong?

What I mean is, they probably said exactly what they wanted to say... let's face it, in the last two days we've seen two convictions or Bikers doing 144 and 152 respectively, so whilst that is fresh in peoples minds they also tell the general public that we usually kill ourselves because we ride to quickly and beyond our skills levels around bends and country lanes... It's all in the name of keeping our names in the gutter.. this will never change, all the adverts and "think Bike" stickers and motorway signs won't change this, the only thing we can do is "make progress" when we can and ride like you're invisible to everyone when in traffic.. Education for 90% of car drivers is the answer, but that will never happen as it costs money, and what are a few hundred less bikers every year? Sorry to rant but this cuntry's attitude to the biking community is disgusting, and I'm actually tempted to keep mine for the track at the moment as I'm tired of nearly getting wiped out at least once a week, usually by some tart on the phone or wrinkly who decided they need to turn right without any warning..

Reply to this Topic
piroflip

Jul 10

piroflip says:

You believe what you.........

............read or hear on the BBC? You ARE gullible.

Reply to this Topic
Rotop

Sep 12

Rotop says:

Complain - request an apology on the news

https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/complaints/forms/?reset=#anchor

Reply to this Topic
sprintst955

Jun 09

sprintst955 says:

Poor old beeb

They are preoccupied at the moment with jimmy saville.too busy looking in closets to get programmes right...

Reply to this Topic
cornbowl

May 12

cornbowl says:

Biased BBC again

I take it the BBC chose that male presenter, as a typical car driver. He was without doubt, a total pratt, even whilst on camera, it seemed quite funny to him, regarding the question of tyres, and pressures, and his general driving behaviour, so just add a couple or three kids in the back, his wife ringing him on the mobile, with her shopping list, and that pratt would be the 'grim reaper' for anyone on two wheels, in the vacinity. Can't wait for part two!!!!!! 

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

My

tyres never get to being near illegal. I don't understand how hard it is to occasionally check the pressures and the state of a few tyres.

My Dad played a blinder when I told him off about his tyres - "I've got ABS!" - we all know that all that means is his tyres will lose grip faster so the ABS will kick in quicker, keep having to disengage the brakes due to repeatedly losing grip and result in even longer stopping distances. He should know that, he's not thick. Oh and he kept complaining that the traction control kept kicking in when he set off even slowly. Yeh, because your tyres are fucking knackered! AGH!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Robell

Aug 02

Robell says:

Like so much TV (and newspaper) journalism these days.

The facts aren't as important as a good story. If it makes for good entertainment, why worry about inaccuracies, especially in a case like this, where the majority of viewers will be car drivers.

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

Like the programme was a revelation. Usual BBC stuff. Have a safety expert to point out the bleedin obvious while assuming car drivers are the most important road users and make out all bikers to be useless, adrenalin rush seeking straight line junkies that can't go around corners and who are responsible for all their own accidents.

My only conclusion from the programme was that the roads are unsafe because there are too many people using them and that is because there are too many people on this tiny island.

Reply to this Topic
HOSBUSA

Sep 09

HOSBUSA says:

Biased Bigotted Crap

Didnt watching the program fortunately.

But as others have said the BBC must be busy "investigating" the managements cover up of Pedo's. Dont expect anything but a pack of politically funded lies from the BBC, nothing new. I hope they disband the whole shitpile and sell it off in small lots.

The BBC is just state propoganda and indoctrination. A British Pravda.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices