Skip to content

Discuss This SORNing bikes for winter could void insurance General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > SORNing bikes for winter could void insurance

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

SORNing bikes for winter could void insurance

Motorcyclists storing their bike for winter could be unwittingly invalidating their insurance if they declare it off road to the DVLA. MCN reader Alan Charlton, 64, was told his underwriter would no longer insure his Kawasaki ZZR1400 after he completed a Statutory Off-Road Notification. To be covered against theft, the broker said he needed ‘laid-up’ insurance from another underwriter. Charlton, from...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (02 November 2012 15:43)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
andygoodman

Feb 10

andygoodman says:

If the bike is in a locked garage and is all nice and secure then laid up cover is not really worth it.

Then again, most laid up policys also dont cost very much either but then general bike insurance is not a hugh amount anyway ( i work for a broker).

This is also the same for cars as well as bikes, so yes indeed check your policys people, or as my first comment suggests, lock it up, lock it down, cancel your policy and save some cash until the sun come back, if it comes back

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

Simple answer...

...don't SORN it, ride the bloody thing.

Reply to this Topic
tim8061

Apr 10

tim8061 says:

Scumbags

Theiving scumbag parasitic insurance companies; another excuse to rip you off so the directors can afford the latest Ferrari and mansion in the S of France.

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

well my bike be getting put in my garage for winter but it will be still tax,ed and insured ect.

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

well just leave the bike tax,ed? as my bike will be getting sorted for 3months over winter but will be still tax,ed ect

Reply to this Topic
harrythecad11

Feb 12

the bastads have got you all ways i hate insurance companys and wouldnt bother if it wasnt enforced on you i would just take my chances the money grabbin tossers

Reply to this Topic
petedj

Jan 11

petedj says:

The weasels continue to weasel

Your isurance document is a worthless piece of paper. Get used to it.

Reply to this Topic
R6nutter6

Jan 04

R6nutter6 says:

What a load of BS. Just because you have declared it SORN does not mean you don't intend to use it in the very near future. I do it with my car, and will be doing it again at the end of the month. I've never had any problems.

Reply to this Topic
steady2wheels

Sep 08

Such a bunch of slags the insurance companies, they're a law completely onto their own.

Reply to this Topic
mickleblade

Oct 06

mickleblade says:

why bother?

if you're tax is £65, then 3 months is only £16.25, just leave it taxed and then if there's a few nice days in the winter you can still go for a play.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices