Skip to content

Discuss This SORNing bikes for winter could void insurance General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > SORNing bikes for winter could void insurance

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

SORNing bikes for winter could void insurance

Motorcyclists storing their bike for winter could be unwittingly invalidating their insurance if they declare it off road to the DVLA. MCN reader Alan Charlton, 64, was told his underwriter would no longer insure his Kawasaki ZZR1400 after he completed a Statutory Off-Road Notification. To be covered against theft, the broker said he needed ‘laid-up’ insurance from another underwriter. Charlton, from...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (02 November 2012 15:43)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
cornbowl

May 12

cornbowl says:

The save

is not worth it, unless you're really tight for cash, there are so many dry sunny days in the winter, that's just great to get out on two wheels, but if you get caught riding it illegal, then it will cost you a lot more, it's just not worth it.

Reply to this Topic
Robell

Aug 02

Robell says:

How can the theft insurance be different, wether or not the bike is in use ?

Yet another cop-out scam by the insurance company.

Reply to this Topic
revitup999

Aug 09

revitup999 says:

sorn

years ago i tried to get 'laid up' ins,but EVERY company i ask said no such thing,how the times change.

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

insurance rip off

Insurance is a legal requirement, so why isn't there a common code of practice to be adhered to by insurance companies? It should be made a legal requirement by Government that all motor insurance policies adhere to a strict guideline. If you pay a premium, you should expect a standard of service.

Having your bike declared SORN shouldn't invalidate your insurance. If you are on the road less, then surely you are less likely to have an accident and a reduced rate should be issued by all insurance companies. This doesn't mean they should increase rates for those on the road in winter before they start thinking about screwing us even more.

One more thing: if a bike is involved in an accident and declared a write off, who decided it is the property of the insurance company? The ownership of the bike is on the V5. Pay the owner an agreed value. It is his or her property, not the insurance company to inherit.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Just like the 'rider only and no passenger' clause with insurance companies, this is another way to worm out of paying you. If its not on the road and locked in the garage every night as I stated when applying for the policy, what is wrong with not using it at all? That means less liability as its not being ridden so you are doing them a favour. If I choose to simply not ride my bike all winter (although I do) and leave it in the garage, what is the difference between that and SORNing it? As for charging more for carrying a passenger, does that apply to car drivers too, and if not, why not?

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

That's a new low, even for insurers

So, they're saying there's more theft risk if you SORN a bike and leave it in the garage all winter rather than just... leaving it in the garage all winter?

I'd be astonished if that one passed the laugh test in a grown up court.  It's got "unreasonable term" written all over it.

Reply to this Topic
STRESSED1

Feb 10

STRESSED1 says:

RIP OFF BRITAIN PART 100

OF COURSE this is a rip off !!!:mad:

NO,what the insurer's are thinking is,OH yeah,i smell a rat syndrome,whereby the bike mysteriously disappears or goes upin smoke.Its crazy,surely the bike is safer stored in a secure locked garage al winter then on,off road?Only thing to worry about is fire or accidental damage,but anyone with one brain cell will look after their pride and joy.:blink:

But what bother's me MORE,is the fact NO ONE seems too care enough to fight this.

If everyone in Britian decided to stop paying the OTT insurance premiums there's no way they could all be prosecuted,but NO WAY,that ain't the done thing in old Blighty is it!?

People would rather pay through the nose and sit moaning about it down the pub,in the work place, the gym and then when asked if they would do something about it say "Well,i'd like to but what can we do they have the power,haven't they".:huh:

This is another way to make the motorist's life a piggin misery and so empty their piggy banks at the same time.Bloody world's a joke, it is.:mad:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
ow01fogno1

Apr 11

ow01fogno1 says:

pay enough for rip off fuel

this is the biggest biker sham ever imo, we only store our bikes in the winter cause of the shitty weather we have here and paying for it enough by not having the usage of lets say a superbike,the fact that they are making more mmoney on "laid up insurance" is as low as you can get, being a biker there is enough cost's to worry about before even getting a decent ride out in this country,speeds cams and ridiculous speed limits make you wonder other than a track bike is it all worth it anymore. this also aftect my business being an m.o.t. tester and technician its total bollocks. mcn sort this shit out with a petition!!!

Reply to this Topic
Chilliesauce69

Aug 11

Whats with the suprise ?

I'm not shocked to read this article one little bit.  People writing that insurance groups can't get any lower than this, trust me they can and they will do.

All insurance groups are nothing more than thieving c*"ts.

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

Before SORN

Some years ago, before SORN, I took one of my bikes off the road for the winter. I was going to let the road tax expire, which was quite legal and I called my insurer to ask if I could reduce the cover to fire-and-theft only while it was laid up in my garage. This was done for a token premium.

It's sensible to insure a bike against theft or accidental damage when it's in store, more so for any bike of high value. Something often overlooked by owners. Now that the rules have changed and you either tax it or SORN it, some insurance advice really ought to be part of the standard "Help" notes for any SORN application.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices