Skip to content

Discuss This SORNing bikes for winter could void insurance General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > SORNing bikes for winter could void insurance

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

SORNing bikes for winter could void insurance

Motorcyclists storing their bike for winter could be unwittingly invalidating their insurance if they declare it off road to the DVLA. MCN reader Alan Charlton, 64, was told his underwriter would no longer insure his Kawasaki ZZR1400 after he completed a Statutory Off-Road Notification. To be covered against theft, the broker said he needed ‘laid-up’ insurance from another underwriter. Charlton, from...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (02 November 2012 15:43)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Raynman2

Nov 12

Raynman2 says:

sorn

Rang my insurance on Saturday to check their response, informed by representative that as bike sorned they indeed did not provide cover. Would make a charge to cancel policy of £50.00 & no refund for period to March I would also need SORN insurance through another insurance company (at what cost ?) MAY AS WELL RE TAX BIKE AS IT"S CHEAPER !! / SO WHY BOTHER !! Requested call back today and initial response was even if taxed but not in regular use bike would NOT be insured by themselves They have subsequently admitted that they cannot enforce a periodic riding request so will now accept bike locked and chained in garage. Until end of my current policy (WILL THEY RENEW ?) or black ball me ? subject to me re taxing vehicle

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Help from MCN?

How about giving us a list of insurers who charge people like Raynman2 and a list of insurers who are more reasonable? Insurance is worked out on liability as I understand it, so if a bike is not being used on the road, surely the liability is reduced. Therefore why can't insurance be vastly reduced and can we have a few statements from insurance companies as to their reasons for this very obvious rip-off? Or are they too embarrassed to comment?

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

This is fire/theft/FC we're talking about.

They can't get out of paying 3rd party claims.

The only way this might be remotely reasonable is if you'd declared that (for example) the bike would be used for commuting and kept outside the office rather than at home during the day.  However, I can't recall ever being asked where a bike will be kept during the day, just the purposes for which it might be used.  The only terms I've ever seen (and I do read contracts carefully) are about where it's parked overnight.

Personally I wouldn't sweat it, or even bother telling them about SORN, since it's so blatantly unreasonable.  However, as Steve says, it's generally better to reward insurers who aren't trying to screw us over, or who at least take the time to lube us up.

Reply to this Topic
1stu

Nov 12

1stu says:

Nuts

I can't see them making this stick. Not having road tax doesn't invalidate your insurance if you are involved in an accident. Also, as far as I know, neither does having no MOT, although this one may have some impact on any claim you want to make. The MOT test isn't a guarantee of roadworthiness after all. And only really counts for the first minutes after you receive it. Besides, if you are a passenger in a car or on a bike and you are hurt when involved in a shunt caused by the driver, you can claim off their insurance. It isn't reasonable for a prospective passenger to ask every driver or rider if their vehicle is taxed or MOT'd. Imagine asking every taxi driver you might use for proof for instance. The current legal requirement is if your vehicle is taxed it must be insured, quite simple. Doesn't change the fact that most insurers are see you next Tues though.

Reply to this Topic
NutMagnet

Jul 09

NutMagnet says:

Hi...

This is toatal B****cks... You SORN your bike during winter and that equals less risk for the insurer...??

I've got protected no claims so might as well take the bike out in the snow and see what they say about my claim after I've slid it down the road and hit a few snowmen... :)

Reply to this Topic
baldeagle1956

Oct 08

SORN

I have only SORNED a bike once, when the tax expired in November and bike laid up, since it then expired in april have never done it again. If you have got to cancel your insurance or pay for a six month one and then a laid up insurance it surely must be cheaper to leave it taxed wouldnt it?

Reply to this Topic
tris123

Feb 09

tris123 says:

bollocks to that

Any excuse to rip you off GB at its best.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices