Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

ChristoT

Nov 12

ChristoT says:

Moving up - but headaches

Hi!
I thought I'd ask for general opinions. I'm an 18yr old student, passed my test back in July, and would like something with a bit more oomp than my current Vara 125. The fact that I need to go home to France at Christmas doesn't help! I went home over the summer on the Vara, don't want to do it again, as I hate thrashing the engine.

I was wondering what people would recommend. I liked the look of the FZS600 Fazer, but insurance for it is prohibitive - £3,000 a year! Any recommendations for mid-faired bikes that I will be able to afford to run and insure?

Thanks!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (03 November 2012 12:00)

Post a message in New rider

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Faired, half faired

Suzuki SV650 S/F/SPORT, Honda CB500S?  Solid bikes that restrict well and eat miles, though insurers may charge more for the faired versions if they think they're sporty.

I wouldn't worry to much about "thrashing" the Varadero though, peak power at 11,000 rpm should be fine all day.  It's not very highly tuned and it's a physically big lump for a 50cc with more than adequate cooling for its tiny pots - should be bombproof - just make sure the servicing is done so there's decent oil in there.

In all honesty covering distance at legal speeds, the XL125V is as good a place to be sat all day as many of the obvious moving up candidates - and the mpg is double - it just doesn't lend itself to many overtakes.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices