Skip to content

Ask an Expert First crash, checking the bike for roadworthiness Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > First crash, checking the bike for roadworthiness

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

DH1900

Oct 12

DH1900 says:

First crash, checking the bike for roadworthiness

Today, I slowed down for a corner with a stream flowing across the road but the oncoming car didn't. In the spray they kicked up, I ended up being hit by their wing mirror and knocked off, luckily not under their tyres or anyone else's.

They didn't even bother to stop. I've talked to the police but I can't even remember the colour of the car, let alone the reg so it seems unlikely they'll be caught.

The bike (a YBR125C) is now a bit messed up, the exhaust, headlight rim, brake lever, right fork and screen are rather scraped. The engine guard has been pressed into the downpipe and the console has been pushed to the side and cracked (I've since pushed it back into place).

As I'm a bit messed up too (the leathers saved me from more than heavy bruising) I've just hosed the bike down quickly and applied FS365 to everything to stop rust. I'll wash it properly tonight or tomorrow.

The bike seems mechanically sound, everything works, bar the front right indicator (I had to ride back 30 miles). What do I need to look out for and should I take it to a garage for an in depth assessment? My helmet didn't touch the road when I fell off, there isn't even a scratch on it (it's got a gloss finish) is it safe to continue using? I intend to replace the right elbow and knee pads in my protective gear (Weise Dynastar II).

Thank you.

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (03 November 2012 16:32)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
badcompanybiker

Mar 12

sensible

that you are asking , helmet should be fine but if at any time when you pull your helmet down onto your head it feels hard or hurts BIN IT , sounds like you had an unlucky drop , most times its just scrapes , i know you would have already thought of it but i would seriously recommend getting it checked out by a trained and decent MOT mechanic , shouldnt cost much to have it checked and you dont have a legal obligation to have it fixed there and then as you are owner of the bike and you are transporting it to ands from MOT test stations , do please get a second opinion , sometimes your heart says its fine , but then your head finds out its not.

you have to remember if something has splintered of inside your engine or gearbox then it may not show straight away and could end up costing you a full engine rebuild. you need to run it in again if you want to be safe just to eliminate being stuck with a mashed potatofor a bike.
Stay upright next time :sunglasses:
BCB

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

First?

I don't like the sound of "first crash", sounds like resignation to there being more.  Bad luck this time, but be hypercritical of yourself and ask if there's anything at all you could have done 100 yards earlier that might have avoided this one?  It hurts the first time, like so many I've been there, done that, dented pride, bruises, damage, but it can also be the last...

Another thought, if another untraced vehicle was to blame then maybe the MIB (www.mib.org.uk) could help, although pursuing any claim through them or your (compehensive) insurer might just push your next year's premiums through the roof, even if it's a "non-fault" claim.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Aye

I'd go MIB.

Now the inspection - if you're inexperienced then defo get it checked out. Save the invoice and also ask them to price for a full repair. This is so you can claim from the MIB. Take pictures of the damage. If you have pictures pre crash that may help.

The other thing is don't check the armour, check the leather isn't significantly thinned where it has slid and that the stitching hasn't been compromised.

As for why it happened... did you anticipate the potential for bad drivers coming the other way and did you take appropriate action? Unfortunately the DSA teach people to sit in the centre of the road. This is fine until you have passed your test.

Basically if there is or may be unseen oncoming traffic, make sure you're as far away as possible. For a blind right hand bend, keep left if it's safe and vice versa. If it's the blind crest of a hill, people will still cross that white line to pass a cyclist so keep left away from them.

This was clearly the fault of the car driver but have a good think about what you could have done to position yourself away from danger. If you've passed your test, get yourself a copy of motorcycle roadcraft. Some people poo poo advanced riding but by the sounds of it, it could well have saved you from someone else's idiocy.

I hate it when people drive off after sending you off. It happened to me. Best thing to do if it was during commuting hours is to put up a picture of you in helmet and leathers (big picture) and the bike (ideally one without crash damage). Couple this with some flowers and tie it to a nearby tree. That might well get the bastard to turn themselves in or at least cripple them with guilt.

Reply to this Topic
DH1900

Oct 12

DH1900 says:

Re:First?

BCB, thanks, I'll arrange for an inspection.

bbstrikesagain, what's the best way to handle going into spray that's kicked up at the last second? When it happened, I lowered the throttle to the point that there was little driving force but not low enough to cause engine braking. I suppose I could have moved across to the left of the lane if I'd had more time to react but then impatient motorists would overtake me without using the other lane.

phileidiot, I haven't passed my test yet, I'm just on a CBT. That's quite aclever idea but I just don't have it in me to make someone falsely believe they've taken a life(even if they're the kind of person who doesn't stop).

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Anticipation is all

If there was a lot of spray then there was presumably a lot of water on the surface and a moving vehicle to kick it up?  Vow to learn to use such clues to protect yourself or think about public transport...

The way I read the OP it seemed to suggest it was the spray kicked up from the oncoming car that caused you to hit its wing mirror?  I tried to picture this but I couldn't.  If the spray was from another vehicle it might make sense, but the spray from an oncoming car is behind it, so how could that disguise its own position?  Left me not quite understanding the circumstances.  Perhaps you missed something in the original post?

Reply to this Topic
DH1900

Oct 12

DH1900 says:

Re:Anticipation is all

To be honest I'm not sure, I remember seeing the water on the road, slowing to about 25 mph. The vehicle suddenly came into view around the corner, when the bumper was level with me I entered the spray (I was going into the wind). I (think I) felt an impact and then the bike went out from under me.

I assume that the wing mirror hit me because the curve was to the left and the bike ended up on its right side so something must have caused me to go full right lock, I believe this was the mirror hitting my arm.

I'm not 100% clear on the details but I'm fairly certain I was struck because of the location of bruising on my forearm compared to where the scraping is on my jacket.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices