Skip to content

Ask an Expert Heater over Winter? Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Heater over Winter?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

LeBoof

Sep 10

LeBoof says:

Heater over Winter?

A two pronged question. My bike's in good condidtion and I'd like to keep her that way. My garage got some water in with the bad weather and smells a bit damp even though I've tried airing it for sometime. Currently, I've covered my by with cloth sheets, should I let air at her? Leave her uncovered?

I suffer very cold winters usually, so given the damp issue and perhaps a bit of moisture, I was thinking of running a 45w tubular heater under the bike during the colder, damp days, or maybe even permantly on for a few months. Is this a good idea or could it cause more issues than just leaving her as it is. Typically I would rarley/ never ride the bike during NOV-FEB.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (04 November 2012 08:57)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

winter

Damp/moisture/water does a lot of damage,putting a small heater in will create humidity and make things worse.Cloth covers absorb moisture and too will smell.

I suggest putting a thin layer of oil (3 in 1) all over the metal/chrome bits/frame (not the brake discs),WD40 on the seat and whatever else you think.

Cover the bike with a waterproof cover,i hope you run some fuel stabiliser through or remove the fuel before storage.The battery would be better indoors.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Winter storage

My bikes are insured and used year-round although less in winter as I avoid taking them out in the worst of the wether or when the roads have been salted.  However, the do of course, spend a lot more time in the garage in winter. My garage gets damp as heavy rain drives in under the door and at the end of the roof.  I use breathable outdoor covers on my bikes in winter (Keeps the dust and crap that is blown in off my bikes) and they are both fine.  The garage itself actually dries out quite fast once we have a dry day or two.  If your garage does get damp the secret is to keep it as well ventilated as possible so it also has a chance to dry out.      

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
LeBoof

Sep 10

LeBoof says:

Ta

Thanks guys, I think I'll keep the doors open to let more air in and think about the WD etc.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices