Skip to content

Ask an Expert Low-Speed Crash, Damage Advice? Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Low-Speed Crash, Damage Advice?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

CurlyBikerCBR

Nov 12

Low-Speed Crash, Damage Advice?

Hello there! New member here.
I'm a proud owner of a Honda CBR125R. A few days ago I made the mistake of hitting a roundabout in wet conditions and was unfortunate enough to have slipped off (I'm a learner, afterall!). The surface damage is somewhat minimal being reduced to no more than a couple of mucked up indicators and a few scratches, but upon riding the bike home after the crash to catch my breath and assess the damage the bike will no longer start, the heat gauge and the rev meter are no longer working and I'm not getting any light from my neutral light on the dash nor will my indicators work. The headlights work fine and the bike will start fine with a push-start but doesn't seem to be able to produce a spark.

I was wondering if this is just a matter of the exposed wires from the indicator touching and blowing out a fuse or does it sound as though it's something worse? I'm replacing my indicators with rubber ones so that they'll bend if it was to happen again and i'm installing crash bars to prevent fairing damage but I'm somewhat worried about the lack of start.

Any advice would be appreciated before I take it into the garage!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (04 November 2012 19:25)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
albert88

Jan 10

albert88 says:

crash

hi curly sorry to hear about your crash , main thing is that you are ok. as for the bike ,yes it sound like you may have popped a fuse ,make sure the wiring is not touching together or the frame then check your fuses ,let us know how you get on.

Reply to this Topic
CurlyBikerCBR

Nov 12

Thanks!

I'm loathe to take it into a garage because from experience they'll make £100 out of it whatever the issue is! If it's just the matter of a fuse I'll get the handbook out and have a muck around with it to see if I can get it working again. I've got no doubts I can fit the indicators but as it wasn't turning over and I wasn't getting any response on the right hand side of the dash I thought it was cause for concern.

I'll give a go at replacing the fuse and see how I get on. Thanks!

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

spill

I`ve done it a few times :hmmm:,as albert says check for damaged wires which will blow fuses.

Lack of start,it`s possible for the battery to have drained or shorted out a cell,this can be checked with a multimeter.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices