Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

SadPanda1993

Sep 12

SadPanda1993 says:

Bigger bike fears

Hi everyone.

i'm pleased to say i passed my A2 test last week first time. was overjoyed. filled with excitement i ignored my friends family and my common sense and went straight out two days later and put down a deposit on a 1994 honda CB 400 SF. i'll have the bike by Wednesday next week and i'm now getting a bit nervous about saying goodbye to my 125. i think the scariest thing is the weight to me. controlling it at low speeds etc or dropping it when pushing it. dont get me wrong i'm dead excited. i guess being a bit worried is a good thing as i should treat it with respect. but any tips on how to get used to a bigger bike would be fantastic

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (04 November 2012 23:10)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SadPanda1993

Sep 12

SadPanda1993 says:

AMAZING

really love the bike. its hard to get used to the acceleration but i'm certainly enjoying it. all advice is appreciated. happy with my confidence with it after a few hours last night. 

Reply to this Topic
Steveyman

Jan 08

Steveyman says:

Glad you like it

Take your time now, it won't be long before you start to think it's a piece of cake.

Find a nice long straight road, where you can see way ahead (national speed limit) without junctions and when there isn't other traffic. Practice throttle control and braking, get the feel of the bike. And do this when it is dry!!

You must learn to respect the power, always ride according to the road, traffic and weather conditions. Too much power at the wrong time could be trouble.

Other than that do think about having more training.

Take care.

Reply to this Topic
Beelady

Jan 10

Beelady says:

More training is always good

Unlike most car drivers a lot of bikers choose to do more training. There's always more to be learnt and all the courses I've been on have been well worth it. I've always learnt something new or an easier way to manage the bike. Apart from that there's usually a laugh or two to be had.

Glad you're enjoying your new bike.

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Bike bike

One of the big fears is dropping it when coming to a halt.   To avoid this, make sure you only put your leg down when the bike is no longer moving

If you put your leg down just as it's stopping (but before it's stopped), you'll be leaning on it as your leg bends forward and down.  You'll never hold the weight as it goes down.   That makes for a near-miss, and a very uncomfortable stop even if you do get away with it, which will make you even more nervous the next time.

Remember, the bike isn't going to slam over on the side just before it comes to a halt, you'll have plenty of time to get the leg out as it actually stops.

Reply to this Topic
Keithshaw

Dec 12

Keithshaw says:

Nervous for the test

Congratulation on clearing the test, I am having my A2 test next week. I am feeling nervous as well as excited.
mimaki printers

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

ER6n

Congrats! I went for DAS so missed out on owning a 125cc but it was very daunting going from a little bike to an ER5 for the first time. Once I'd passed I got a XV535 Virago which suited my needs at the time as I never went anywhere far or very fast. Town riding mainly and for that it was brilliant, low centre of gravity, not a lot of power and very easy nature. However when my needs changed and I wanted to venture further (i.e. take it on the motorway) it's limitations soon became apparent.

After a years break from riding anything after the XV decided to break I bought a brand new ER6n and to start with I was scared sh*tless of the newly found power. However within a week of riding it every day I soon got used to dealing with the power. Now after a year of riding it every day in all weather I actually feel like I could do with more power and more weight for the mammoth motorway miles I put in.

As long as you respect the bike and slowly push your limits you'll get used to it in no time.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices