Skip to content

Discuss This Winter blues General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Winter blues

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Jarrefan

Nov 09

Jarrefan says:

Winter blues

I'm going to be riding through winter again this year but my thermal/Gortex/Kevlar gloves don't seem to keep much of the cold out. So which keep your hands warmer - heated grips or heated gloves? Your answers will seriously decide what my wife gets me for Christmas.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (05 November 2012 14:34)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Grumpyoldtechie

Aug 11

Heated gloves are warmer, but heated grips are less fiddly without the trailing wires. A heated waistcoat helps to keep hands and feet warm as it stops blood being diverted from the extremities to keep the body core warm.

ExO2 and Keiss use diiferent plugs and sockets, making it more difficult if you want to use jacket and gloves together from one power connection (something for your wife to bear in mind when buying them).

Heated gloves, grips, jacket, insoles and a heated seat is the way to go!

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Winter riding

I have not tried heated gloves but I have had heated grips on two of my past bikes and they are great.  Both sets (On my 1150GS and VFR800) would allow me to use lighter gloves in winter.   

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

warmth

Heated grips, combined with bar muffs. They also keep your hands DRY too :-)

They might look crap, but biking isn't a fashion show, is it??

Reply to this Topic
bigbull

Jun 09

bigbull says:

Keeping Warm

Heated Grips (OXFORD) and a Heated Vest (KEISS) is the biz up here in the Highlands for winter biking comfort...

Reply to this Topic
DazLoczy

Apr 12

DazLoczy says:

Heated Grips

Are easier to live with and as long as you don't go for the cheapest option they should provide more than enough warmth throughout the winter. I have Oxford grips on mine and I've not yet had to have them on more than 30% yet this year. As mentioned before heated grips also mean no wires trailing about your person so are less fiddly to use and do mean lighter gloves can be used on shorter journeys. They can also help with wind chill in the summer - as they're on your bike anyway just turn them on, it's unlikely you'll be carrying heated gloves with you in the heat of summer and you might be glad of the heated grips on a chilly summer evening.

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

hmm not sure...

Heated Gloves are probably better working on the principal that if your gloves are really good you will never feel the heat from your grips(!) but heated gloves are very fragile and fiddly so i always prefer heated grips - I tend to use mine even on cold/wet days in summer when I wouldn't be wearing winter gloves! I have the Keis Battery powered waistcoat and that is really good as well - worth several layers as it just replaces the small amount of heat that you leak....

Just remember to tell your insurance company if you have heated grips fitted since it is a modification - Bennets refused to cover my ER6 with heated grips! (So I went elsewhere and lost my no claims).

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Heated grips are a 'modification'??

Seriously?   FFS... what's next?

Reply to this Topic
mercymercyred

Jan 10

gloves

I would definitely have 3 items to keep my hands warm. 1.Hein Gericke pathan evo 2 finger gloves these are fantastic warm and waterproof but crap protection. 2.Heated Grips 3.Wide hand guards Bar muffs are really good but are absolutely awful to see on the bike and a lot of messing about to operate the bikes controls in my opinion.

Reply to this Topic
KungFooPanda

Dec 12

KungFooPanda says:

Heated Gloves

I'm going to ride thru the winter too ..... 30 degrees plus in Malaysia. On my bike every day.

Reply to this Topic
AlbertRonya

Dec 12

AlbertRonya says:

Have you buy something to keep your hands warm?If not still finding ,then from my view you should buy a heated gloves only as it is only the best option  in winter to keep your hands warm.

fixed gear bikes

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices