You are in... Forums > General > General > Rusty exaust pipe

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

LearnerRider

May 12

LearnerRider says:

Rusty exaust pipe

Before the cold realy sets in this year, I want to paint my rusty exhaust pipe. What paint would be suitable ?

And what are the steps in preparing it for paint. (I want to use a brush application paint as I don't want to get any paint on the fairings by spraying.) I also don't want the hassle of removing it from the scooter.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (05 November 2012 18:14)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
LearnerRider

May 12

LearnerRider says:

Hope so

I hope so as I need to do it this weekend.

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

we'll have to keep

bumping up the thread then won't we.

Here you go :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

bump

Anyone ?? :upset::upset::upset:

I'm sure some of you lot can offer some advice after the insults have stopped flying about

Reply to this Topic
LearnerRider

May 12

LearnerRider says:

Any one

Any one help?

Reply to this Topic
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

exhaust paint

You want VHT,  very high temperature paint. Sperex is a popular make, which you should be able to get locally, and comes in a few colours. Or have a look here  :winkie:

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Exhaust painting

Hi-temperature exhaust paint is what you want.  There are several proprietary brands out there and they are all OK.  I have used the stuff from PJ1 and it gives a good finish. 

There is no easy way to do the job properly and if you want anything like a good (or effective) finish you will have to remove the pipe from the bike.  You will need to remove all loose paint and rust from the pipe.  Start with a wire brush then smooth off with wet & dry.  Before you paint clean the exhaust with white spirit to ensure that any last trace of grease or other contaminents have been removed.  Keep the paint indoors before using - you can't spray properly from a cold can.  Mask of any threads.  Use even strokes along the length of the pipe and build up several thin coats to get good coverage.  (Don't try and save time by applying one thick coat - the paint will be uneven and will run and end up looking shite!)

I know you want a quick fix but time and a little effort are needed for a decent finish.       

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices