Skip to content

Ask an Expert Best Naked Bike for New Rider New rider

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > New rider > Best Naked Bike for New Rider

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

ngooding153

Nov 12

ngooding153 says:

Best Naked Bike for New Rider

Hello - I'm looking to move into the biking world shortly, I've not had a great deal of bike experience before, some messing about on a 50cc when I was younger is about all, but I know I want to look at a 'Naked' style bike and I know I don't want to be riding a relatively small one.  I have a few bikes that I am considering but not sure if I'm well off the mark and as a beginner should steer well clear - So far I've got these as potentials:

Suzuki SV650
Yamaha FZ6 Fazer
Honda CB600F Hornet
Kawasaki ER-6N

Triumph Street Triple 675
Ducati 620 / 695 / 696

The last two are the ones I seem to be leaning towards more and ideally it would be the Ducati 696.

Any advice - am I just being a bit stupid expecting to just get on bikes like these and be OK? I seem to read forums where people say ride a smaller bike for a while then move up - but I just can't see myself on a smaller bike and they don't really appeal to me.

Thanks

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (06 November 2012 09:46)

Post a message in New rider

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Naked bikes

All of the bikes on your list are decent machines.  In particular the ER6 is a great machine for a new rider.  A pal of mine got his hands on one just after passing his test and still has it as he can't find anything he likes better - and he has tried enough!!

The Triumph is very well regarded by almost all who ride it but it is a more commited machine than the others - literally being a sports bike without the fairing.  I have not owned a Triumph (other than a 1959 3TA) but owners of the modern Triumphs often comment that they are expensive to sevice.  As for the Ducati, I would look at that as exotica rather than a day to day machine although there are probably those that would disagree with me.  Again, they take a lot of looking after so might not be the best choice for a new rider who just wants to get on and use his bike.     

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
teamwindsor

Mar 11

teamwindsor says:

first bike

First off  how old are you? would you go down the DAS route or would you be wanting a 125 first. 

Cost and insurrance are big issues, particularly if you are young. The first 4 make excellent first bikes and can be had relatively cheaply. The triumph and ducati are a tad more pricey. 

It really depends on your situation and budget. Remember to budget for kit. If yo are to be doing your test soon, get it out of the way before the changes in january!

Reply to this Topic
Dabbsy

Aug 02

Dabbsy says:

which bike

Hi there,

Take a look at this too, to help you zero in....

Buyer's checklist - read this before you post a query

To help us give you the best advice when it comes to buying your next bike, give this post a few minutes of your time and use your answers as the basis for your forum query.

Budget: Break this down to include insurance and any kit you need, as well as the bike.

Style: Sports, sports tourer, naked, custom, adventure. There's a bike for every taste, what's the top three you're considering?

Annual mileage: Also when and where are you going to ride? A daily commute? Sunny Sundays only?

What's your riding experience? While you may want a brand new 1000cc sports bike, it's probably not wise if you've just passed your test.

Reply to this Topic
ngooding153

Nov 12

ngooding153 says:

Best Naked Bike for New Rider

Thanks for all the responses guys.

I'm 36 so I'm assuming that my age will help a little regarding insurance.  I've had my full car driving licence since I was 18, so I believe I can skip the CBT part?.  I'd be looking to go down the direct access route, but was thinking that I'd hire a bike from the place I do the course before purchasing my own.  I've been budgeting around the 3500/4000 for the bike - maybe a bit more for the right one and around £1000 for kit? 

I seem to read a lot of good things about the ER6 and I seem to also read that maybe Ducati can be quite a bit more expensive for servicing / parts / insurance etc. But it looks like a cracking bike.

The other thing I seem to find is that a lot of the bikes don't have a fuel gauge - Is this not a nightmare having to work out how many miles you can get out of the bike or having to keep checking the fuel levels?

Will the changes to the test in January make a big difference?

Thanks

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

No

comments as to what you buy.

As for the fuel issue most riders will use the odometer, each time they fill up they set it to zero, you will soon work out what mileage is the point you need to fill up. 

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

You will

have to do CBT if you're doing DAS.

At age 36, next years rule change don't affect you so much.

Don't just go by the look of the bike - as a newbie, you need a bike you can get on with - you may find some bikes are uncomfortable for your size / weight, so you'll need to try some (preferably with kit on, because that makes a difference too).

Don't go overboard spending dosh on a first bike either - chances are you'll drop it sooner or later, and the more you spend, the more gutting it'll be.

As for kit, go to a shop and try some on (don't just guess sizes) - some kit, while ok off the bike, can be bloody distracting on it if it doesn't fit, and potentially could move in a spill and leave you vulnerable.

Reply to this Topic
cairnsie13

Jan 11

cairnsie13 says:

Depends on what you

want the bike for and how confident you feel when you pass your test.

I own a 98 hornet which is what i jumped on after my das and had no problems, its sedate in the lower revs but flies in the higher rev range but has a short tank range and isnt the most economical bike.

I have rode a 98 fazer and found it to have more midrange than the hornet still quick in the top end but feels a bigger bike than the hornet due to fairing and heigher seat height but is an excelent bike and wouldnt turn one down has a bigger tank the hornet and similar mpg.

I have also rode an er6 its noticably slower than the hornet and fazer but better in mpg had decent low down punch but doesnt have that quick acceleration in the high rev range. It probably easier to ride for a novice but personally i would have got sick of it which i havent in the 2 years i have had the hornet. They are also rattly because there a twin. They have similar power to the das bike you will ride they are a nice bike and if i was just riding around town or commuting i would pick this over the other 2.

ducatis are lovely bikes but require more maintainence etc and would be expensive if you drop it which you likly will as a new rider but i dont have much experience to comment.

The street triple is also somthing i would like to have a go of.

Personally i would wait till you pass your test and see how you feel as only you will know how confident you are. 3-4k is expensive for a first bike youll likely drop and its easy done believe me but the damage can be quiet bad. it is worth buying decent kit though wish i had a grand to spend on kit

Not having a fuel gauge is not an issue use you odometer and most have reserve

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
ngooding153

Nov 12

ngooding153 says:

First Bike

Thanks for all the responses guys.  It has been really helpful having different bits of advice.  I did have the feeling that I was being a bit naïve thinking I could just look at some pictures and read a few reviews then pick my favourite bike.  I’ve had the opportunity to sit on a couple of different bikes, which makes me realise that I do need to really try and get a proper feel of one before I think about buying. 

I think I will look to spend a bit less on the first bike and see how it goes, as some of you have said chances are I might end up dropping it at some point.   

I also realise that I need to put some good effort into getting the right kit for me, there seems to be big differences in sizes and fits depending on manufacturers, which again I should not have just thought I’ll read a review in a helmet and go and but one.

It’s good to know that the forums on this site offer some genuine responses. 

Just need to get on with buying some kit and pass the tests now.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices