Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Are you bothered by your bike's fuel consumption figures? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Are you bothered by your bike's fuel consumption figures?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Are you bothered by your bike's fuel consumption figures?

Is MPG important to you and do you ride accordingly, or do you only pay attention to your fuel when the light comes on? pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (06 November 2012 12:14)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
muddybus

Aug 10

muddybus says:

ZX10R's are green

How many other superbikes can do almost 200 mph, and still achieve 45+mpg?? Buy green, ride green, be green!!

Reply to this Topic
tirechains1

Oct 12

tirechains1 says:

bothered by poor MPG

As the market stands now the manufacturers figure that we want the most performance and speed, MPG be damned. I think that they have read the majority of us right. When buyers start to choose bikes based on fuel efficiency, then the manufacturers will incorporate it into their design goals. I would rather let the market dictate mileage concerns instead of having a goverment mandate higher mileage at the expense of performance and personal preference. The manufacturers should at least give us choices and let us vote with our wallets.

Reply to this Topic
tirechains1

Oct 12

tirechains1 says:

poor MPG

Additionally it would be great if the tuners and aftermarket accessory makers would design chips, exhausts, gears, fairings, tires etc... for those of us who want to extend range and or MPGs. Anyone know of any products out there that accomplish this?

Reply to this Topic
tris123

Feb 09

tris123 says:

good enough

If you look at the fuel efficiency of a bike compared to a car with the equivalent performance the bike is far superior.  So fuel economy for me isn’t really an issue.

However I guess for couriers or touring maybe a diesel bike would be handy.

Reply to this Topic
zoobaz

Oct 10

zoobaz says:

It's not fuel that's the problem...

... it's tyres!

my commute is approx 155 miles per trip to work (77 miles in each direction). I have a diesel car which does 70+mpg (Pug 1.4hdi) which suits me fine but costs £4.50 per day to park.

the Sprint ST1050 does just over 60mpg if I stay below 80mph, even the Bandit 1200 does 52mpg at around 80mph cruising.

Even though I can park the bike for nothing, it's still cheaper to use the car because a pair of front tyres for the car lasts nearly 40K miles and costs £100 to replace. The Triumph rear tyre lasts 4k miles before it's flattened off and costs £130 to replace. that's approx 26 journey's to / from work on one rear tyre, which by my maths equals about £5 per day in tyres. so it's cheaper to park the bloody car! Grrrr!!!

when I worked closer to home I used the bike every single day regardless of weather and didn't worry about the cost - it was always better than driving!

Cheers,

Baz

Reply to this Topic
Ridefree

Jun 08

Ridefree says:

It's embarassing when I calculate the cheapest way to get to our daughter's house 200 miles away and I check car v bike v train, and the bike comes last

The bike weighs maybe 250 Kg, the car 1200 Kg, the train 5,000,000 Kg and the bike works out the most expensive!!!!!!!

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

Fun per Mile?

I have much Fun per Mile and that makes up for MPG to be honest ,so I don't really care about the economics of commuting. Life really is too short.

Reply to this Topic
ajdubas

Feb 12

ajdubas says:

Smiles per gallon

Driving a car is boring, especially if it's a fuel efficient one, bikes get many more smiles per gallon for me.

Reply to this Topic
arnunn

Jul 06

arnunn says:

I have to agree with Baz, I can get great fuel mileage from the bikes, if I want, but the cost of maintenance is sky high compared to the wife's car.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Useless

When an economy car can do wheelies and stoppies, along with a sub 12-second quarter-mile, I will consider one.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle