Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Are you bothered by your bike's fuel consumption figures? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Are you bothered by your bike's fuel consumption figures?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Are you bothered by your bike's fuel consumption figures?

Is MPG important to you and do you ride accordingly, or do you only pay attention to your fuel when the light comes on? pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (06 November 2012 12:14)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Out for a run on my Tiger 800 a couple of weeks ago and the low fuel warning light didn't come on till there was 168 miles on the trip meter. Went to fill it and there was still 4 litres in the tank so happy with that. Well over 200 miles to a tank taking it to the fumes. How many people ride 200 miles without stopping anyway?

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

Range

Not how far it can go in a single journey it's how many days you can get out of it.

I commute roughly 60 miles a day and it would be nice to be able to get a week out of a tank.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

200 miles?

@ SatNavSteve – 200 miles? I have to go farther than that to the nearest Triumph dealer.

Reply to this Topic
mercymercyred

Jan 10

mpg

I am a high mileage rider 20,000 per year. I have just traded my 2011 CBR600F in for the NC700S for cheaper running costs and far better MPG. Although the new CBR (hornet with a fairing one) is no slouch on the MPG front I was regularly getting 55 - 58 mpg on runs. But like it or not petrol aint coming down and we will definitely be seeing more bikes leaning towards better mpg and cheaper running cost just look at the smaller new ones being released Ninja 300 a new CB500 etc. The NC700S is a cracking bike you can stay at 80-90 mph all day and it wont go below 65mpg riding a lot more carefully 80 mpg is normal.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

You'd think that bikes would be more economy focussed

But the new Ninja 300, CBR250R (and therefore likely the new CB500) and Inazuma have pretty rubbish economy.  None claim better than 80mpg, they won't get that when ridden at the same speeds as the NC700 (or the G650GS, why no love for that?) and the shorter service intervals aren't insignificant either.  They're really no better than my 16 year old GPz305, so why would I bother chopping that in for a new equivalent?

There is an economy drive on, but it's by and large to make bikes that are cheaper to construct, not cheaper to run.

Reply to this Topic
tman39a

Mar 08

tman39a says:

mileage

If bikes like ZZR1400's and Busa's can get 200 miles to a tank then what's wrong with smaller and lighter stuff getting the same range. My bike does 100 miles to the reserve light regardless how its ridden...do I care..no...can I do anything about it...not cheaply. If riders really cared about mpg they wouldn't sell 2/3rd's of the bikes on the market..........same with cars. I just hate the fact that most of the cost is a tax in one form or another...the government know that fuel is a daily necessity so they tax the hell out of it...and when more people move to LPG and so on the tax on them will rise.

Reply to this Topic
cornbowl

May 12

cornbowl says:

As it's for pleassure and track days, fuel consumption's not an issue for me, but for some of you high mileage guys, then it has to be a balance between economy and performance, I guess.

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

CBR250R

@Rogerborg, if you look at fuelly.com and spritmonitor.de you'll see plenty evidence that the CBR250R is capable of 90-100mpg depending on how ridden of course.

Real world: high eighties/low nineties a distinct possibility.

Reply to this Topic
NAVMEIST3R

Oct 11

NAVMEIST3R says:

I do, because like my old 125cc my cbr doesnt even have a fuel meter, so i just have to fill up if i think in the next few meters im going to be no where near a petrol station

Reply to this Topic
wak1309

Jun 10

wak1309 says:

Nope!

As posted by others, You don't ride a 1000cc sports bike to worry about the MPG (well, not 100%!)

It's the £PG that boils my blood!!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices