Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Are you bothered by your bike's fuel consumption figures? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Are you bothered by your bike's fuel consumption figures?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Are you bothered by your bike's fuel consumption figures?

Is MPG important to you and do you ride accordingly, or do you only pay attention to your fuel when the light comes on? pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (06 November 2012 12:14)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
billysollocks

Feb 09

Insurance, kit, maintenance, excise duty on roads and fuel, all cost money. I've got enough to think / worry about without mithering about how far my bike will go per gallon, ta very much! How much is a decent nitrous kit these days?

Reply to this Topic
mercymercyred

Jan 10

money to burn?

Reading a lot of the comments on this subject there seems to be one hell a lot of lucky people who literally have money to burn. I am envious of you not having to worry about how much petrol your bike is costing you.I love the motorcycling lifestyle as much as the next person and would love to own a panigale but I will have to make do with my NC700S which is still great fun.

Reply to this Topic
zoobaz

Oct 10

zoobaz says:

Smiles...

Everyone who commented that a car is boring way to travel is right - and I totally agree with you all!

however, my commute is 155 mile round trip, mostly on the M1, so it's not really that interesting on a bike either.

As I said in my previous post - i used to use the bike every single day when my commute was only 15-20 miles a day and I enjoyed every minute of it, even when starting shifts in the early hours in the middle of winter.

But 2 hours commuting on the M1 in the dark is not my idea of what I should be using my bike for. Besides, I have quite a lot of heavy tools which I couldn't carry on a bike.

But to actually answer MCN's orriginal question 'Are you bothered by your bike's fuel consumption figures? ' my answer would be a resounding 'NO, but we'd like better service intervals & running costs'...

Cheers,

Baz

Reply to this Topic
muddybus

Aug 10

muddybus says:

Money to burn

Hell yes! Being a selfish git, I decided to not procreate, not waste money on a wedding etc, etc, and live life for today. I don't have a pension, they are after all just pyramid schemes which never pay out what you were told you would get when you were sold (read: fooled into buying) it. I don't smoke, dont drink, dont take drugs, and all of this allows me to jump on my bike, burn off copious of fuel for no purpose other than to scare myself, shred a couple of tyres every year and generally have a good time doing so. When i'm taking my last breath, I don't ever want to think 'what will happen to all the money i saved' or worse still, 'I wish i had done that when i had the chance'.

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

@mercymercyred, I'm not rich, far from it, but I fully intend to make the most of whatever life I've got. If that means going without other things to pay for it, fine. I don't smoke, have the odd drink, no take aways etc. Not that I feel have to justify myself, merely trying to explain a little. My wife is also very understanding, which helps. I entered her for a saggy tits competition recently; she wiped the floor!

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

Sorry, that last should read "with them" at the end.

Reply to this Topic
hairyMuppet

Dec 03

hairyMuppet says:

Two figures bother me

1) The woeful MPG (circa 45mpg, but I can get 60mpg if I am careful).
2) The miserly milage rate from HRMC.  Bike cost as much (if not more) to run than a car, so why only 24p per mile?

Bikes used to be the prudent choice, but now there are basically no bikes that are economical to run.  They cost as much as a decent car, the race-derived engines drink fuel, the service intervals are painful...these are the reasons that, for most, a bike is just a recreational toy.

Reply to this Topic
mercymercyred

Jan 10

Fun.

I agree bikes are a great way to 'live life to the full' quite like the look of the new brutale 675 and the new street triple nice to window shop. But I do think MPG are going to become as relevant as MPH the petrol aint gonna come down. Sooner the 'experts' start to mass produce a synthetic alternative to petrol the better so maybe its our duty to use it up as fast as possible to give them a kick up the bum. Surely they can do something with, Carbon,ethanol or methanol?

Reply to this Topic
ajacko

Jun 09

ajacko says:

The 'no' vote..

I make the assmuption that the 40% of 'no' voters are either mostly wealthy and care not for such trivial matters as saving money, or belong to that large group of riders I see at bike meets on a sunny Sunday only who do 15 miles to the meet, talk for hours about all their mods over cups of coffee then 15 miles home again.. Nothing wrong with that of course, if that's your thing, but I guess you're not going to be bothered about fuel consumption if you only fill your tank once a month.. These figures need to take into account miles per year ridden by the voters, I'd hazard a guess that if voting were restricted to those who do more than 5,000 miles a year (a modest figure, and by no means high mileage) the ratio would be wildly different..

Reply to this Topic
Discopoo

Sep 12

Discopoo says:

Off topic

How come, whatever the topic, so called full time bikers take every oppurtunity to critisise part time bikers.

Are we some kind of sub species that doesn't count, becuase as far as I can tell the majority of people on here are part time bikers. Now we can stop riding if you like and leave the roads open for you "full timers" but I suspect that it wouldn't take long untill you were struggling to find bike shops to buy parts and clothing from as our part time pound goes a long way.

Another thing, how long would it take before you were paying more for your bikes as you had to import them as the the "big four " would pull out of britain and would also stop racing.

The consequences of your critisisms can be far reaching and you need to think about what you are saying.

In closing, I know I will be flamed for this post but it will only be by the small minded. As bikers, motorcyclists or Sunday dreamers, we realy should stick together.

Sorry for the rant.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices