Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: What tyres should I use for a 4000-mile tour? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: What tyres should I use for a 4000-mile tour?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: What tyres should I use for a 4000-mile tour?

"I'm planning a 4,000 mile touring holiday for next summer as a 'goodbye' to my old Pan European, before I trade it in for the new Triumph Trophy. "I'm not sure what tyres to use, and what other kit I should be taking with me – any advice would be great." Your answer could help. The best will be printed in MCN. Got...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (06 November 2012 12:42)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Buy British!

On my last bike, a Sprint ST, I used Avon Storm Ultra's. They grip well wet or dry and have a deep tread pattern on the back, 8mm I believe. They are also cheaper than quite a few of the competition. At touring speeds, I can't see why they wouldn't last your holiday out and more besides. I don't ride slowly and got well over 5000 miles from a set.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Tyres

I would go for Bridgestone BT023's although the Pilot Road 3's seem to get good reports also but, if you have had the bike long enough to thinking of trading it in you probably know more about tyre choice / performance than most of us.  As to what to take - it's a Pan - take everything! :lol:   

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
SundayRoast

Oct 11

SundayRoast says:

Has to be Dunnies

I would go for Dunlop Roadsmarts. Fabulous longevity, they dont square off, they warm up far quicker than the Bridgestones I had previously and they are great in the wet.

They also have great feel in the corners. I managed nearly 8000 miles out of the front and rears on my K1300S so you should be fine with the Pan.

Reply to this Topic
cyclelife

Jun 10

cyclelife says:

PR 3's

Fitted PR 3's to my Sprint GT in early Summer, toured Europe "two up" and have now covered 6500 miles on them, loads of tread left and hardly squared off at all! Amazing tyres, ok they're expensive but I'm guessing at 10K out of thew rear :)

Reply to this Topic
Bob_1

Feb 05

Bob_1 says:

New Ones

No, I'm not being funny. I used to have a Pan, a while ago now, which always exceeded the 4000 miles you require for your tour on a set of tyres. Just put a new set on a week before you leave and you'll be fine.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

Another vote for Dunlop Roadsmarts

I shall be using them for a little jaunt to northwest Spain next spring/summer and will be putting atleast 3500 miles on a set. For me the Mk I version work better on my bike than the Mk II but as always with tyres personal preference plays a big part.

Reply to this Topic
Robell

Aug 02

Robell says:

You'll easily get 4k from most modern sports touring tyres.

I got double that from my last Avon Storm's and a good proportion of that was with luggage and a pillion.

As the previous poster said, fit new ones before you go. There's nothing worse than being away from home and nervously checking remaining tread depth every day. Worn tyres will be more liable to punctures aswell.

Reply to this Topic
Titosfuneral

Feb 12

Titosfuneral says:

Heavy bike

Make sure that whatever tyres you put on, they're able to deal witht the weight of the pan.. some tyre come in two types for normal and heavy bikes.

Reply to this Topic
sprintst955

Jun 09

sprintst955 says:

Roadsmarts

Amazing tyres i dont have brand loyalty and try lots of different tyres but im on my second set as i cant fault them,loads of grip wet or dry good mileage and dont square off easily.10/10.I havent tried contis yet and will give them a go next but i have a nagging worry that i will regret it.DOH

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

As a final trip on a long owned Pan I would have thought that a suitable tyre would have already been found. As for "What other kit I should take" ???? Seriously MCN please Just ask these questions without pretending to be erm genuine readers words.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices