Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: What tyres should I use for a 4000-mile tour? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: What tyres should I use for a 4000-mile tour?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: What tyres should I use for a 4000-mile tour?

"I'm planning a 4,000 mile touring holiday for next summer as a 'goodbye' to my old Pan European, before I trade it in for the new Triumph Trophy. "I'm not sure what tyres to use, and what other kit I should be taking with me – any advice would be great." Your answer could help. The best will be printed in MCN. Got...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (06 November 2012 12:42)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Round ones, black are usually best

You're tarmac touring on a 2-wheeled bus, not going track racing or crossing Outer Mongolia.

Reply to this Topic
Harry44

Jun 07

Harry44 says:

I run my Pan on Battlax tyres. I toured France earlier this year did much more than 4,000 miles the tyres weren't new when I left and were still ok when I got back.

I took the standard tool kit, didn't need it. A tyre plug puncture repair kit, didn't need that.

A change of clothes, used them and a credit card, used that. A set of water proofs used them.

It's a Pan for god's sake, as long as you can lift it off the stand it'll be fine.

Reply to this Topic
Rotop

Sep 12

Rotop says:

Other kit

Your bike keys and a good book to read while riding.

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

Obvious

The simple answer is use the ones that are on the bike right now.

If they need changed while you're away then get them changed.

You might even get them cheaper. on the continent.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Air

Air is the key. Use tires filled with pressurized air.

I recommend a special mixture of 78.1% nitrogen, 20.9% oxygen, 0.9% argon, and 0.1% other gases.

Reply to this Topic
tman39a

Mar 08

tman39a says:

If you need tyres then the likes of the Metzeler Z8 or older Z6 interact are hard to beat.....designed for heavier bikes and offer more than enough grip.

Reply to this Topic
wwdph02

Aug 02

wwdph02 says:

R1200ST BMW, 31,000 miles - 10k per set, Michelin Pilot Road, then 10 k Pilot Road 2 per set - just had to change them - nail in rear tyre - 30,500 - Fitted Road Pilot 3's - mainly commuting 40 mile a day, mostly above 60mph - 58-60 mpg on Shell super unleaded. Seem safe, good in the wet and feel OK despite all reports above beemer front end suspension. Also have Road Pilot 2's on my R1200s ( Ohlins/wide rear tyre) and after 4000 miles use there is more tread now than the original metzler's which last 3000 before I changed them. Depends how you will be riding, touring holiday or racing point to point on a 'must do' list

Reply to this Topic
mostlyslowly

Apr 09

mostlyslowly says:

I put Pilot Road 3

on the Blackbird.  They seem to do everything well.  Carry loads, ride fast and tour in all weathers.  Far better than the Bridgestones they replaced IMO

Reply to this Topic
Abstract rude

Aug 08

Depends on how you ride it

I did a 3000 mile tour on a xt660x using continental supermoto attacks, they have hardly any tred on them and are nearly a track tyre and I got another 1000 miles out of them after getting back!

But I don't recomend using them on a pan, personally I like continentals and bridgestones, bridgestone bt021 are tried and tested and the new bt023's are a very good tyre with very high mileage, if you're going to be riding hard with alot of heavy acceleration and alot of weight on the back (luggage/pillion) then I recomend a sports touring tyre.

If you're going to be taking it steady almost any decent tyre will do it, continental road attack 2's are a very sticky very grippy tyre that also have really good ware, just make sure your tyre pressures are up to the max reccomended in the manual as this decreases the contact patch with the road and don't ride the bike to hard and you should be alright, worst comes to worst the world is full of motorcycles and motorcycle shops and always found help abroad when i've needed it.

Reply to this Topic
SpeedT03

May 12

SpeedT03 says:

Metzeler Z8 Roadtec

For me Metzeler Z8 Roadtecs. Had them on my Speed Triple for 5000 miles now and they do everythig you can throw at them. I bought them on the back of MCN sport touring tyre test in the spring and havent looked back. The best wet weather tyre bar none, they give really good dry grip, stable handling and I reckon I will get at least another 3000 out of the rear The back tyre isn't even starting to square off. I did 2500 miles round France a couple of months back and I regularly do a 110 mile commute to work on the bike. Never used Metzeler before on a road bike. I am a convert :-)

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices