Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: What tyres should I use for a 4000-mile tour? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: What tyres should I use for a 4000-mile tour?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: What tyres should I use for a 4000-mile tour?

"I'm planning a 4,000 mile touring holiday for next summer as a 'goodbye' to my old Pan European, before I trade it in for the new Triumph Trophy. "I'm not sure what tyres to use, and what other kit I should be taking with me – any advice would be great." Your answer could help. The best will be printed in MCN. Got...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (06 November 2012 12:42)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
fishbate

Oct 12

fishbate says:

Metz Z8's

SpeedT03 got it right on. Great in the rain, lots of confidence and grip with your kneed down, huge miles, excellent wet weather performance, quick warm up, loads of traction in poor weather... Did I mention they are great in the rain? Metzler Z8 Roadtec Interact

Reply to this Topic
vitesse7749

Nov 08

vitesse7749 says:

Pilot Road 3s if they are available. Great wear, fab wet and dry handling.

Reply to this Topic
vitesse7749

Nov 08

vitesse7749 says:

Pilot Road 3s if they are available. Great wear, fab wet and dry handling.

Reply to this Topic
bird1050

Nov 07

bird1050 says:

tri compound

any tricompound tyres will do the job but the choice is yours.

as for kit to take read nick sanders books  the guy is a pro at long distance touring , Every thing you need is on there . From fuses to tyres , and how to prepaire your steed . 

Good luck and most of all enjoy it

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

pst.... bird.....

he's not real ..... it's another made up question...!

Reply to this Topic
muddybus

Aug 10

muddybus says:

Yawn...

You'll get more life out of some old crossply tyres. As for other things to take on tour with a Pan European, how about a pipe, slippers, jar of ovaltine and a hot water bottle...

Reply to this Topic
HaplessBiker

Nov 12

HaplessBiker says:

I did a 4,000 mile trip on an SV650s - sorry about the ad but you can read about it here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bonjour-this-Italy-Hapless-Bikers/dp/1845843991

Anything that isn’t too track-orientated would be fine; Dunlop Roadsmarts are a great all-rounder, good for long motorway stretches and you’ll be able to enjoy the twisties too; also great in the wet.  Have fun and don’t plan too much ;)

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

hapless...

Is that you? I read your book, it made me laugh, made me think and made me remember my early biking days and yes you're spot on, everyone I have ever met has told me about a mate that was de-capitated whilst riding a bike.

Reply to this Topic
TokaiR1

Nov 12

TokaiR1 says:

Tyres

Just short of 9k in 7 weeks on 3 sets of tyres last year around Europe on a ST4s and I can say that the Dunlop Roadsmart and Metzeler Sportec certainly managed around 4k very well.... the 'get a tyre in a hurry' BT016 was no so good though... would have preffered a BT021 at that point.

Full details here...

http://tokaitravels.wordpress.com/

:)

Reply to this Topic
HF_ZX10r

Dec 07

HF_ZX10r says:

I run Michelin Road Pilot 3 on a ZZR 1400 and highly recommend them, great grip on the sides and plenty of life in the centre after 4k.

My next favorites would be Metzeler Z6 Roadtec and Bridgestone BT021 tyres which run a very close 2nd. I have run these on the ZZr and a ZX10r through europe and got more than 6k out of them.

All of these tyres are outstanding in the wet which to be fair is what you really need in this country.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices