Skip to content

Discuss This Valentino Rossi excited ahead of Yamaha return MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Valentino Rossi excited ahead of Yamaha return

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Valentino Rossi excited ahead of Yamaha return

Sunday’s final MotoGP round in Valencia is almost a sideshow as the world awaits Valentino Rossi’s much anticipated return to Yamaha in next week’s traditional two-day test session. Rossi will end his two-year Ducati nightmare in Spain on Sunday before moving back to partner newly crowned world champion Jorge Lorenzo in Yamaha’s official factory squad. The 33-year-old Italian spoke of his...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (08 November 2012 17:34)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
buelligan272

Jul 06

buelligan272 says:

good luck

Hope it goes well at the test.
Reckon it will be the equivalent of jumping off a   CX500 onto a Fireblade!

Reply to this Topic
cornbowl

May 12

cornbowl says:

buelligan272

Cor' now there's a contrast.

Reply to this Topic
FreddieFastbender

Nov 12

The guy's got balls.

It doesn't matter if you're in the red camp - or even if you're a camp orange, the fact is that this guy is gonna come under the most fierce and intense scrutiney imaginable next week -  a real test of man, machine and nerves. Rossi's brave.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Brave? Hardly.

Desperate more like. He is the architect of his recent demise with his 'him or me' tanty rant to Yamaha. Hubris thought a sprinkling of Burgess fairy dust over the D16 would bring manners to the  red beast with the hairy chest engine. It didn't. Turns out you have to ride the thing damn hard to get it to respond. Rossi couldn't, not wouldn't - couldn't  do that.

His reputation is in tatters. He is desperately searching for a positive finish to what had been up until 2011 an illustrious career. He didn't want to retire on a bummed out low of failure, and he daren't risk another season on the Ducati which he's not up for. This left Rossi with only one option - a bleat to his Uncle Carmelo for a M1 or a RCV. Luckily for him his Uncle pulled the strings necessary to make this happen. Path eased of course by Spies' annus horribilus.

This Yamaha move isn't brave. It's the only possible option for Rossi to try and redress all he's lost over these past two years.

Reply to this Topic
paulthew

Aug 11

paulthew says:

Good reply? Hardly.

The Ducati clearly favours one particular style of riding. Casey has it, plus abundant talent.

Also, I wonder if youth also plays a part; how would have a (much) older Casey have handled the Duke after years riding a Honda or Yamaha works bike? Maybe he would have coped well, but I tent to think not.

Yours comments about Rossi lands you firmly (with a thump) into the anti-Rossi brigade, meaning you share the same illogical, often childish views as the anti-Casey mob. This, coming from adults, is pathetic.

Nor is his reputation in tatters; nine world championships see to that, and the upcoming season. He and the Duke did not gel, that's all. He and Burgess thought they could tame the beast; they were wrong. But, even Stoner had problems with it too – witness his many front-end crashes when not even under pressure.

And, of course Rossi wants a positive finish to a (very) illustrious career. Who would not? Your problem with that is what, exactly?

Personally, I cannot wait for Rossi to return on a bike more suited to his style. It's a pity Casey is not there, as the idea of Lorenzo, Stoner, Pedrosa and Rossi on works bikes should make any motogp fan salivate with anticipation. The first two would be my tip for the title, but what a contest!

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

A retort wide of the mark. Certainly.

Better than your average Oompa Loompa Paul, but I still sense some yellow hurt. 

I was responding to a post which suggested Rossi was 'brave' in his decision to return to Yamaha. I've pointed out the only thing brave about the move is Rossi attempt to put on a brave face to try and save some. And if you don't think his reputation is in tatters then you don't follow the sport that closely.

Nowhere did I suggest I had a problem with Rossi making the move. It's his best option. Personally I would've preferred Yamaha being braver themselves by looking forward and putting Pol on the thing rather than looking back at Rossi. But Uncle Caramello bars can be persuasive I guess. 

I appreciate you're new to this mcn gig, but what you must realise though is 'adaptability' was one of the myths peddled about Rossi's riding. The Duke is not a one rider bike, that's a nonsense. It's a bike that simply requires more commitment than Rossi could provide.

As for Stoner's Ducati crashes well I think you'll find these were more tyre related than anything. Casey with the D16 and 2012 rubber could've been a whole different kettle of fish - aluminium beam or CF chassis.

Rossi is Yamaha's past, not its future.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
paulthew

Aug 11

paulthew says:

No idea? Unquestionably.

Oh dear.

"And if you don't think his reputation is in tatters then you don't follow the sport that closely."

I've only followed the sports for 35 years. But hey, what would I know? And yes, his reputation is so tattered that Yamaha have offered him a works ride for 2013. But hey, what would they know?

"Nowhere did I suggest I had a problem with Rossi making the move"

Mate, your whole reply was the problem you had with him making the move. In fact, your whole problem is Rossi; desperate. Tanty rant. Hubris. Rossi couldn't (ride the Dike hard). Bleating, etc.

Pol instead of Rossi? Well, yes, certainly a potential for the future, but you are correct; Yahama would have been brave indeed to ignore a nine times world champ who developed their machine into a title winner, won titles on for them, and whom  Ducati did not want to lose, for a talanted moto2 rider. Brave indeed.

"It's a bike that simply requires more commitment than Rossi could provide."

Really? Okay can you inform the gathering crowd just who else has ridden the duke to victory, other than Stoner? And, you are suggesting Melandri and Hayden also lacked commitment? 

Then again, Agostini has said it was more like Stoner being like Hailwood - he can ride anything, wheas Rossi is like Ago; one particular style. If I'm wrong, I humbly take Ago's opinion.

"As for Stoner's Ducati crashes well I think you'll find these were more tyre related than anything"

No, they were pretty much front-end failures. According to Stoner, anyway. And Melandi. And Hayden. And Rossi. But hey, what would they know?

"Rossi is Yamaha's past, not its future."

Yamaha have signed him to ride the works bike in 2013. According to my understanding of time, that's in the future. But, hey, what would they know?

If you are suggesting that Rossi is not Yamaha's future for the next decade, well, that's a given. No-one is suggesting anyting else. But gee, comments like that do make you sound so knowledgeable, eh?

Also, still waiting for a reply to: "...of course Rossi wants a positive finish to a (very) illustrious career. Who would not? Your problem with that is what, exactly?"

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Comprehension lacking. Clearly so.

Question asked, question answered. What more do you expect? As you've probably deduced Rossi is not my favourite rider. Machiavellian and duplicitous in nature with favoured status imparted upon him for the entirety of his career, much of it deserved admittedly, quite a bit not. Nice reply though. It's a rare day that a yellow belly puts up a fight based in some fact.

You say Rossi is Yamaha's future, well yes smart one, obviously he is contractually. But you seem to be hinting at a little more. If Yamaha really thought Rossi was their future from a results perspective then why did they cut him loose at the end of 2010? Pragmatically speaking (over and above Uncle Carmelo's meddling) Yamaha saw it as desirable to have their prodigal son back on board as little more than a marketing exercise. To play on the four titles they won together and perhaps use him in some sort of future ambassadorial role once retired. I haven't read of one professional journo (outside of the great Rossi fawnicator DE at MM perhaps, I don't know rarely bother with him nowadays) that thinks Rossi will be a title challenger next year. Most expect the odd win (I don't, unless through attrition in the dry), but the title, no. He's yesterday's news and this Yamaha ride is little more than a golden parachute.

Stoner's crashes on the Duke - 'front end failures', what does that mean? He went down each time because he pushed up to, and on these occasions over, the knife edge limit of ill defined front end feel the 2010 'Stones provided (aided and abetted by the D16 also). Have you not read about this lack of front end feel with the 2010 'Stones, and the riders praise for the new generation 2012 rubber - well until they choose the Rossi spec type 33 (an unnecessary tyre change arbitrarily forced upon them), which they're all now grumbling about as Stoner predicted, due to chatter.

So is Rossi 'brave' to move to Yamaha, or desperate to salvage some pride?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Brave?

Yeah... brave would have been to stay with Ducati, sort it & win (his initial goal)... which could, of course, easily be mistaken for madness. The Yamaha move is entirely logical for Rossi. We will find out if it's logical for Yamaha as the season progresses.

Reply to this Topic
klacto

Oct 12

klacto says:

Foul mouthed

Foul mouthed Nostro meets his match when Paul carefully analyses the Rossi return better than he is able. MotoGP is a poor spectacle at the moment and without Stoner so much poorer. So poor we even kid ourselves that this was a "tough" year for JL and that Dani is to be spoken about as a great. So, MotoGP needs Rossi on a competetive bike at the front. No doubt "The Doctor" is chastened by his time at Ducati but I back him to be a winner in 2013. Such a shame , but inevitable, that Ducati couldn't throw the development, frame, engine and ECU changes which Honda do as routine. Roll on 2013.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices